Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do I fix a crooked back handspring?

Jj2638

Hi! I have a question, how can I fix my crooked back handspring? Whenever I sit, I always get crooked but I don't really feel myself going to the side. My head tilts but I also don't feel it going sideways. My stronger arm lands earlier than my other arm and it bothers me. It became a muscle memory and it's like I forgot what's the feeling of getting backwards, Is it possible to relearn the move? I can't proceed on learning harder skills because I can't get my BHS. It makes me depressed. Please help me! I am new to this community and I joined here because I know that here is where I can seek help from experienced coaches and professionals.

Here is a link to my videos so you can see my BHSs https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEQrL7mnSPenUqdwFXKe2yw/

These videos are where I got lucky. But when I throw a BHS regulary, It's actually worse. Please help

Alessandro Mainente

Can I see your bridge from the side?

Joshua Slocum

First, your problem is very common! Lots of people have issues with going slightly to the side when handspringing or flipping backwards.

Try learning to "overcompensate" - do a back-handspring where you favor the other side. Get to the point where you can choose how much you favor and which side you favor - at that point, you'll have the control to make yourself go straight backwards.

Another option is if you have access to a back-handspring trainer (it's a mat that looks like a giant wheel with a section cut out), those can be very helpful for learning what it's like to jump straight back. 

Can you do back tucks? Do the suffer the same issue?

Coach Sommer

... Hi! I have a question, how can I fix my crooked back handspring? ...

Get a better teacher.   ;)

All joking aside, whenever technical training is involved; the more qualified your teacher, the faster your progress will be.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Katharina Huemer

I agree with getting a good coach.

But another drill would be: lie on your back on a block or stacked mats, then reach to the floor with your hands, like a slomo Back Handspring. Do it a thousand times! 

Then do spotted BHS. Start very slow. Get two people spotting you at first and they should help you through the skill. A third person should stand in front and tell you if you are straight or not. Do this drill faster and faster until you get to the speed when you are crooked, Then work at this stage until the BHS is straight, slowly increase speed. 

Hope this helps a little. We use this at our gym and it helped lot of people!

• Upvote 1