Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Travel

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Are there any suggestions people have for managing the Foundation series if one is traveling or short on time? The stretch series, F1 and H1 are what I'm currently working on. With summer forthcoming I have trips planned out and would like to not miss out on the workouts and wanted to crowdsource ideas if there were any (beyond just buckling down and doing it, with all my equipment in tow, etc). Thanks

Josh Schmitter

I'm rocking out Costa Rica for a few weeks soon. I don't need much as I'm still in the early stages of most, but I'm just gonna rock some paracord around a tree for ring replacement. Possibly with some duct tape or random stick lying around through the end handles. I'm a minimalist packer so there's no way rings are coming with me...I mean unless I forgo pants :ph34r: .

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'll be in Cali and South Carolina, so not as rustic. But good to know, others are posted in a gym somewhere despite being working with GB.

Joachim Nagler

I was in Tasmania/Australia and New Zeland from last November till the end of February. (You can find a recap on Coach's FB page)

During all this time I could basically keep my strength by doing one workout a week. I did all 7 movements and depending on what I could do with my surroundings chose some exercises from the progression which I did mostly for 3 sets at Mastery rep level. I always did the knee series and some HBH/HBR and ABH/ABR as warm-up. I also played around with Handstands a bit. 

What I would now definitely do is try and do the stretch series every week.

• Upvote 3

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah I mean the vacations I am anticipating are intermittent and not to the global south (where I lived pre-GB). In anticipation of them I said to myself, "at the very least I'd do the stretch series because in all honesty those make me sorer than any actual Foundation workout." (I don't know why that is and it's likely worthy of another post, but I imagine it's because my adductors, calves and shoulders are still rather weak 'gymnastically' speaking). But thanks for these insights, they give some helpful perspective. Any official words of advice/encouragement from people closer to the GB team?

Chris Garay

Hi Daniel,

Great to hear you're going to keep up with Foundation, Handstand, and the Stretch series while traveling. Some of my favorite workouts have been when I was on the road and just found a random park on a sunny day.

I would recommend bringing rings, a mat or towel, and possibly some bands. You should be able to find benches, bars, walls, etc. at local parks, and if needed you can stop by a gym every so often for weighted bar work from H1. When in doubt, just pick one PE and one iM from each movement that you need to practice that you can do quickly without equipment.

And if all else fails, like you said, performing just the Stretch series each week is probably not a bad compromise! Good luck, and keep us updated!

Best,

Chris

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So in review I feel that an F7 routine and the stretch series is about all I can manage within one week. That is of course without becoming a teetotaler and foregoing vacation enjoyment in order to seek out a gym, which is less than optimal from the stance of my fellow vacationers.

• 1 month later...
Samin Ishtiaq

It depends.

On a work trip, I scout for a nearby gym or park, and see what I can do there. (I sometimes wish I was a crossfit member, they seem to have places in every major city.) I've used chairs and sofas in my hotel room before. I might not be able to do my full routine, but I do what I can.

On a vacation with my family, I just relax. I go to the park with my kids. It's best to do one thing with concentration. Time with my family if precious, I don't want to also feel guilty that I'm missing GB training.

Nicholas Green

I actually just got back from a 3 week long trip to Europe where I was living out of a backpack and had minimal access to any equipment.  I didn't want to spend a ton of time (the people I was with would have killed me if I burned up a lot of their time to go workout) and energy (living out of a backpack means I wasn't eating much) training while I was on this trip, but I wanted to maintain my progress.  So what I came up with, was to simply do a mastery set of the last element I had mastered, both strength and mobility, of each progression.  This caused me to lose progress on some elements that I had been working on prior to the trip, but it kept me from gaffing off training completely and backsliding much more than I did.  In my opinion, finding equipment to train the elements you are trying to maintain is more difficult than finding the time to train.  I'm still jetlagged from getting back to the States last night, so I hope this post makes sense.