Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back Pain and an MRI

Mark Collins

Colin Macdonald

This was really interesting, thanks. I've been reading bits and pieces on modern pain research and I've been interested in learning more.

He has another article that's also fascinating:

http://theconversation.com/pain-really-is-in-the-mind-but-not-in-the-way-you-think-1151

My broad understanding is that pain is an indication of tissue damage, but the intensity of pain is not related to the degree of damage. Do you think that's accurate?

• Upvote 1

Cole Dano

It doesn't have to be.

Here's one of the leading experts giving a very down to earth talk on the subject.

• Upvote 5

Mark Collins

This was really interesting, thanks. I've been reading bits and pieces on modern pain research and I've been interested in learning more.

He has another article that's also fascinating:

http://theconversation.com/pain-really-is-in-the-mind-but-not-in-the-way-you-think-1151

My broad understanding is that pain is an indication of tissue damage, but the intensity of pain is not related to the degree of damage. Do you think that's accurate?

That's correct. Pain does not always give an accurate indication to the extent of damage. It can make my job really difficult as when I studied Physio we were taught pain equals damage. I have had to change with the research and now I have to educate my patients about how pain does not equal damage.

• Upvote 2

Colin Macdonald

Here's one of the leading experts giving a very down to earth talk on the subject.

Also brilliant, it looks like this is the same guy who wrote the articles.

Has anyone read his books?

Mark Collins

Also brilliant, it looks like this is the same guy who wrote the articles.

Has anyone read his books?

Explain pain is a great book.

• Upvote 2