Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand-Opening up the shoulders

gymrob

Hi everyone,

While training wall handstands I have found I can get my hands pretty close to the wall but I think my shoulder flexibility may be a limiting factor. Does anyone have any good exercises to help this? I have started doing Wall extensions which have certainly helped but does anyone have any other advice? Is getting a decent shoulder opening a matter of active flexibility aswell as passive? when laid out on the floor in handstand position I feel my lack of shoulder flexibility affects the arch in my lower back a bit (exaggerates it).

Secondly, when I lay on my back and attempt to get my lower back flat on the floor, I feel I not only have to contract the glutes and abs and I also have to sort of compress the mid section a bit (I think its tucking the tailbone) and this seems contradictory to the full body extension as much as possible to the ceiling. What is correct in this instance?

Many thanks! Rob.

PS: I have just seen Cirque du soleil La Nouba which has sparked inspiration! Has anyone else seen it or any other cirque shows? If so what do you think?

wall extensions, stretch chest & lats, band dislocates, etc.

All of that is correct for full extension. Emphasize CHEST UP and the stomach naturally comes "in".... this straightens out the spine.

Cat stretch, stick/band/rope dis/in-locate, cuban presses, bridges focusing on shoulder flexion and perhaps shoulder extension and skin the cats as well besides bar or ring hanging.

PS: I have just seen Cirque du soleil La Nouba which has sparked inspiration! Has anyone else seen it or any other cirque shows? If so what do you think?

I haven't seen La Nouba but I've seen two other shows when they've some to Los Angeles and I'm seeing a third this October. The shows are amazing. The physicality is phenomenal, the movements magical. The artist/athletes make something so difficult look so easy.

Cirque du soleil shows are incredible. Was in Las Vegas up to April this year and saw the three shows they offer, most amazing. Wish i had started gymnastics at young age like Mr. Sommers students. Ah well everyone situation is different and i enjoy trying to mimic Idol's training. You are an inspiration idol keep it up! i wonder what age idol began in his training.