Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about handstand training and positioning.

Bob Sanders

Hi. Right now I don't really have any training plans, routines, or protocol. I just training my skill to get better at it even if it means doing it for all day long or have a day. I guess that's the right way to go right? If not can someone point that out to me right now? Thanks.

Anyways. I am training for the handstand and eventually be able to get a free handstand. So I got a question. I see some people doing it with their backs on the wall. And then other people does it their face and front torso up the wall.

For example here is the way I usually do it cause if I fall I just put my feet forward and down.

handstand%2520wall.jpg

This is how some other people do it:

381139128_cdf27bb17b.jpg

I understand it may be a preference thing but is there any benefits from doing the latter? I don't even know how to get into that position and if I fall back I don't know if I can counter it. But if there is a benefit dong the latter I will give it some practice with some mats.

Body facing the wall is much better.

You need to get the hands as close to the wall as possible while keeping your body hollow such that only your toes touch the wall. This will constitute proper handstand position, and if you can do this without any wobbling from your midsection and legs you are ready to start freebalancing.

Freebalancing you will push your toes off from the wall an inch or two and try to balance from there.

To get down from it there are 3 ways:

1. bend your arms slowly and foward roll out

2. side cartwheel out of it

3. walk your hands forwards and get back down the way you got up (usually you start out in near pushup position and walk your feet up the wall and hands in)

Richard Duelley

I do both variations and put my hands touching the wall (or as close to wall as you can get) when doing the holds. For the chest towards the wall simply start in a push up position with your feet on the wall and then walk up the wall with your feet while you simultaneously walk you hands toward the wall. Strive to get your hands as close to the wall as you can hold. If you fall out of balance you can either roll out or simply take a step with one hand and put a foot down (this is what I do, just make sure you have enough room on either side so you dont kick something!)

Dont neglect the headstands they are a great body awareness/alignment movement. They also serve to give yourself a rest between handstand sets and are great for breaking up the monotony of beginning handstand training.

Good luck and happy balancing!

Ninjaed but Braindx!

Thanks for clearing that up! But about that headstand thing. I can feel my face turning red and I don't know how it works, maybe the blood is flowing to my head but I get this pressure feeling in my head and get a headache which makes me uncomfortable and I have to stop. Is this the same for you? Is this right? Or do I have ot get used to it and will get better with practice?

Richard Duelley

It will get better with practice. The more your upside down the more your body will adapt. :mrgreen: I have no problems holding a headstand for minutes at a time, this of course has taken me a year (the time I have been working on it) to develop.

Guest Ido Portal

Both variation of performing a handstand are good and should be used. However, the photos you have posted show VERY poor alignment.

No matter the variation you use - facing the wall or not, freestanding or on some aparatus, the body line should be as straight as possible, stacking feet on knees on waist on shoulders on elbows on hands. Trying to achieve an effortless handstand - through 'the line' is the goal to look for.

The way that Braindx suggested to work will allow you to self regulate your body alignment, coming in close to the wall will not be possible unless the body line is correct. (Actualy, someone strong enough can planche forward a bit, but it will not be effortless)

Ido.

Thanks, Ido. I try to get my hands at least 1 inch away for the wall.

Now, what is a good routine to work towards a free handstand? For my max hold I can do well over 60 seconds, 69 to be exact.

12 sets of HS on wall. It's one of the GB Wod's.

I thought it might be 45s, 45 off but I can't remember.

Or do sets of wall runs. 50 or 100 to start. Rest as needed. This will teach you how to shift weight in a HS so you can learn how to walk on your hands.

You should also be working your HS free. 15 attempts per workout at least 4 times a week. 25 possibly if you rest enough. I suggest 3-5 at a time and rest. Maybe add in some HS press downs on the wall or from headstand instead of Handstand. These are down with the back to wall and the head, shoulders, and back pressed into the wall.

Btw, learn how to roll out of a handstand from the wall. Look for my youtube video on how to go from handstand to headstand and roll. Oh, wth.

Thanks Blairbob for posting that video! Just what I needed. And about the Free Handstands? I don't remember attempting a free hadnstand in the past. I don't know if I can stay balanced in it for more than one second. But I'll give it a try. Sounds wicked fun! :twisted: And headstands I feel are very uncomfortable. They put pressure in my head and hurts my head from all the weight.

Poor baby. Suck it up and man up! :roll: :mrgreen: :wink:

Seriously you need to know how to roll out of a handstand or step out of a handstand before you try it free.

As well, the adaptation to building strength in the neck and skull in the headstand besides the pressure from being inverted should be taken slowly with care. Do them with your back against a wall or couch to alleviate some of the pressure. Do them with your toes still on the ground to take some weight off. Get the idea?

Many young adult and adults feel uncomfortable in headstands at the beginning. I can't say I was super enjoying the headstand leg lifts tonight either.

LOL Hey I just did the Wall Walk Handstand and I got my hands too close to the wall and I fell flat on my back! BANG! It shook the whole house! :lol: Oh man did it hurt!

It will get better with practice. The more your upside down the more your body will adapt. :mrgreen: I have no problems holding a headstand for minutes at a time, this of course has taken me a year (the time I have been working on it) to develop.
Poor baby. Suck it up and man up! :roll: :mrgreen: :wink:

Seriously you need to know how to roll out of a handstand or step out of a handstand before you try it free.

As well, the adaptation to building strength in the neck and skull in the headstand besides the pressure from being inverted should be taken slowly with care. Do them with your back against a wall or couch to alleviate some of the pressure. Do them with your toes still on the ground to take some weight off. Get the idea?

Many young adult and adults feel uncomfortable in headstands at the beginning. I can't say I was super enjoying the headstand leg lifts tonight either.

Is there a risk of messing up/ breaking your spine when trying Headstands? What are good pre-hab, preparatory for it.. and if there are any progressions besides the toes on ground thing, do share. :)

Roll out next time. Watch the video again. It'll come with practice.

Yeah ha ha. I was just shocked that I just frozed and fell flat back! I don't know if it'll hurt the spine but sounds dangerous!

What are some good tips to progress to a free handstand? Right now I just do a handstand with my back against a wall and just do holds but that's too easy with a wall to support ya. So I kinda tap of the wall a bit but I'll just fall back down. Don't know what I am doing wrong. I keep my body tight and my feet pointed and my body straight.

I'm a big fan of tapping off one foot at a time and eventually doing it with both feet. Other than that just kick to HS progressively one foot at a time. Set up something to land on if you're that worried about it.

On DrillsandSkills, there is a good article on Handstand development.

Many new gymnasts will freeze up when they lose control, get scared, etc. It's common but we need to try to avoid this. We don't want to think in the air what to do in a skill because it's pretty much gonna be "save your butt" time.

I'm a big fan of tapping off one foot at a time and eventually doing it with both feet. Other than that just kick to HS progressively one foot at a time. Set up something to land on if you're that worried about it.

On DrillsandSkills, there is a good article on Handstand development.

Thanks Blairbob! You always been a good help to me! Since I can't hug you over here, I'm gonna give your a big cyber hug! :D

Hugs are ok but it best be a man-hug aka bear hug. That is the only acceptable way for men to hug. None of that foo-foo girly light pat hug crap.

It's too bad you probably can't compete NAIGC but maybe you can in college!

LOL of course! :D I still have hopes of competing but times is not right at this moment. So have to take it slow and let the universe lead me. I will make the juniors team one day and maybe eventually compete in collage to too.