Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Road block in handstand progress

SM3091

So I've been working handstands for a while, but beyond minor improvements with form, I can't make any progress with the freestanding handstand. Can someone critique my form in the following video? 

The quality is terrible, so I apologize for that. This is a slightly older video, and I don't really have anything from more recent times, but I have definitely not made any progress. I rarely practice handstands by kciking upto a wall because I feel like they make me rely on the presence of the wall; thereby teaching bad habits. But this was when I had an elbow injury which prevented me from rolling out of the handstand. I hold handstands with my belly to the wall with my wrists justa few inches from the wall. And I can reach 3-4 sets of 60 secs without much effort. My shoulder protraction could be a little better in the handstand, but beyond that, what do I need to improve? 

I'm obviously doing something wrong, seeing as I haven't improved at all despite months of doing dedicated handstand work for 15-30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. 

Rajesh Bhat

problems with your work: too much work, not structured enough. 

If you can't get H1, a couple things: your ribs stick out, ppt seems meh (pretty good compared to some people :P).

If you can't afford H1 currently, look into Antranik's tutorial. it's decent.

Good luck

problems with your work: too much work, not structured enough. 

If you can't get H1, a couple things: your ribs stick out, ppt seems meh (pretty good compared to some people :P).

If you can't afford H1 currently, look into Antranik's tutorial. it's decent.

Good luck

I didn't want my post to be too long, because I do have the habit of rambling on and on. But my handstand work is actually pretty structured. They consist of two 15 minute chunks a day, 2x week; and one 15 minute chunk 3x week. I did build up to this volume gradually, to allow for my wrists etc. to get used to the load. 

You're right, my ribs do stick out a little. That stems from lack of sufficient protraction I think. I am still working on improving that. I didn't think my PPT was poor, but I will take into account what you said next time I practice. I will try to get H1 sometime later this year. I looked for Antranik's tutorial, but I couldn't find one on handstands. But that would ultimately be unnecessary. There are a lot of tutorials, and I have read a lot of good posts on this forum. I was hoping for some feedback on my position, which a tutorial won't give me (but you have :) )

Thanks for the response!

Alessandro Mainente

Open shoulders and alignment is acceptable, general body tension is poor. I should not focus too much on the ribs positioning until you get confidence with handstand position. From my experience, I got 1:30'' hs, then hs is an habit, then I can focus on details.

basically you need to :

-work more on transition wall to free hs facing the wall

-improve wrist and finger strength that are the key to balance

-learn how to improve the rebalancing, moving the shoulders back and forward to shift the cog.

Instead of work handstand for time, work it basing your training upon correct attempts, correct handstand makes you to improve in handstand. take a number of 10 as a reference and aim to complete with the time 10/10 handstand kick-up and hold also for short time.

• Upvote 5

Can you laborate on what you mean by transitioning from wall to free hs? What I'm gathering is walk up the wall to a handstand and push off the wall for balance, and in a separate chunk, work kicking up to handstands and holding them however long I can for reps. 

This is an interesting concept. I will try it out starting today. Thanks for the response. 

Alessandro Mainente

The approach to shift the weight are completely covered in handstand 1. the transition wall to free hs is something that must be learned progressively. you cannot run if you can't walk.

• Upvote 2

Alexander Egebak

You need to build up more hold time (endurance strength) in an easier handstand progression so that you comfortably can express more confidence in the full freestanding handstand.

I would be doing longer holds wall handstands, then alternating 1 leg off.

If you think you can handle progress yourself then, by all means, go for it.

If you want a full program and more detailed help then you should by H1 as the others have mentioned.

• Upvote 1

You could try to kick up( against the wall) more gently, with your shoulders directly above your wrists.

After the kick up, you work on transition wall to free handstand.

Ronnicky Roy

If you are not already doing so. Do wrist stretches, band shoulder stretches and add handstand wall runs to your weekly workout. Twice a week should be enough. You should see immediate results, but yes. Improving your stack is the best longterm goal for mastering the handstand

All good advice. Yes, I do wrist stretches and shoulder stretches regularly. I have recently started handstand wall runs, but my elbows hyperextend a lot, and I'm still building up the strength to be able to hold myself on just one locked out elbow. I do hope it helps out though. I'm working separate chunks now. Trying to build volume with the line I have at the moment, and in a separate workout, work on improving my shoulder position. Honestly, I don't think my stack is all that terrible though. But there's always room for improvement.