Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Inverted Swallow by Calisthenist

Rajesh Bhat

Agree with him having hyper extended elbows in Maltese etc. I think also part of that is due to the pressure on the arms which hyper extends it just a bit more. My arms are 'straighter' (or a bit  more hyperextended) in a back lever than when I just lock them. That being said, I indeed don't think his arms are completely locked due to indeed your reason.

Also does the FIG code of points say specifically locked arms or straight arms?

Yeah, what you say does seem to be true. I may be in the minority here, but I don't think one should train back levers before getting a reasonable degree of straight arm strength for that very reason. The fact that your hyperextension seems to increase could be actual elastic deformation of the bone/joint. If the bicep tendon is strong enough to hold the bones in place, the degree of hyperextension shouldn't increase. This is, however, based on pure intuition. I don't know if this is true or not, just that it is how it feels to me. Look at Yibing or Jovtchev. Significant hyperextension that is visible even when they simply lockout (for example, when Jovtchev salutes before his floor routine, you can see the same degree of hyperextension).

Yes, bending of arms is deducted. For NAIGC, ''slight bending'', ''strong bending'' and ''extreme bending'' get deductions of 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5 points respectively. What constitutes slight, strong and extreme is upto the E-judges I believe. I could be mistaken here, so anyone, feel free to correct me if I made an error. NCAA and Olympic judging may be more strict.

• Upvote 1

I believe most of the guys on this forum including Coach Sommer would agree with you on back lever not being appropriate for beginners.

My degree of hyperextension is very very small and I think is not harming and normal. If you apply pressure on anything it will straighten a bit due to the nature of the tension. Even though Yibing has hyper extended arms, his arms will (I think) hyper extend a little bit more while being in a maltese/cross or even a backlever.

Coach Sommer

- Beginners should not train back levers.  Period.

- Chen Yibing's elbows will not further hyperextend.  They will straighten to their ROM and then stop there.  There is no such thing as straighter than straight.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 7

• 4 months later...

Sorry I wanted to ask. When training the Victorian should the scapular be protracted and depressed like a planche or retracted and depressed like a front lever?

Christoph Pahl

Retracted. I remember a discussion here where a forum member showed a victorian but shoulders protracted, perhaps you find it. This seems to be much easier.

Retracted to point where scapula is in natural position same as it should be in front lever. Coach s mentioned that front lever is impossible with fully retracted scapula, same it would be in victorian i guess.

Manna is prerequisit for victorian so get manna first if you already dont have it. :)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Matthew Jefferys

What's up with this business of people starting to call the Rodriguez, a "Tulloch" and the Victorian, a "Rodriguez"?

Alessandro Mainente

If you know something about gymnastics you can recognize substantial differences:

-tulloch movement: azaryan to victorian

-victorian cross: inverted swallow

-rodriguez movement: front uprise  and stop into victorian

-Zahran movement: from back lever pullout through cross to victorian cross

• Upvote 2