Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Inverted Swallow by Calisthenist

Rajesh Bhat

Dylan Robertson

That looks very similiar to a Victorian to me, anyone care to explain the difference, if there is any?

Rajesh Bhat

Wonder how he developed it ?!?! He speaks anotehr language so hard to talk with him on internet :P

Rajesh Bhat

I agree with you guys saying it's bent. plus hold time is short. not competition ready, but then again, it's a skill very few achieve :)

Ivan Pavlovic

Victorian is impossible with compleatly straight arms (locked elbows) so saying it is bent dont count as error. :D

Italians are getting seriously strong, i have seen few of them doing victorian recently which is hard to get even for elite gymnasts.

Victorian is impossible with compleatly straight arms (locked elbows) so saying it is bent dont count as error. :D

Italians are getting seriously strong, i have seen few of them doing victorian recently which is hard to get even for elite gymnasts.

Daniel Burnham told me that he heard from someone that one or two gymnasts in Brazil can hold a victorian with straight arms and good body line for 2 seconds before losing it.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

i do not agree completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkr1erjcez8

if you stop at 25 sec you can easily see how his arms are locked. he spent years and years to improve ONLY  the elbows extension.

he has the strength for victorian since 2007 and 7-8 years only to reduce the elbows flexion a bit seems to be an eternity.

Italians should focus more on mobility and less on strength. things are changing, but not for all.

• Upvote 2

i do not agree completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkr1erjcez8

if you stop at 25 sec you can easily see how his arms are locked. he spent years and years to improve ONLY  the elbows extension.

he has the strength for victorian since 2007 and 7-8 years only to reduce the elbows flexion a bit seems to be an eternity.

Italians should focus more on mobility and less on strength. things are changing, but not for all.

I don't think his elbows are locked there and the quality of the video and angle of the view there is not so easy to tell.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. If you watch his maltese or as he moves through a cross, he clearly has hyperextension. And in the victorian, his elbows are straight (if not ever so slightly bent). So his elbows are definitely not locked out. Doesn't change the fact that he's monstrously strong though. 

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

Daniel Burnham told me that he heard from someone that one or two gymnasts in Brazil can hold a victorian with straight arms and good body line for 2 seconds before losing it.

Yes. It was a guy on the Brazilian national team. Definitely possible with straight arms. Just hard.

Daniel Burnham

curious. how do you think he trained for it?

same way people train maltese.  just upside-down

• 2 weeks later...
Léo Aïtoulha

358894victo.jpg

Mind-blowing ! Very good Victorian indeed.

If we compare the main muscles involved in a Maltese and in a Victorian, would it be something like this ?

Maltese : Anterior delts, biceps, upper and middle trapezius, serratus anterior, pecs, abs

Victorian : Posterior delts, triceps, lower and middle trapezius, rhomboids, lats, abs

Front Lever is beginner level and ring Planche is advanced level by GST standards : why is Victorian more difficult than Maltese ? Is it really more difficult or is it the result of unbalanced training/huge lack of knowledge about how to train for Victorian in the artistic gymnastics world ?

• Upvote 1

Great victorian, but no his elbows are not locked. The are close to being straight, meaning the angle between the upper arm and forearm is near 180 degrees. Rodrigues has elbow hyperextension, so his lockout involves an angle greater than 180 degrees. The hyperextension is very clearly visible in his maltese or cross, and is not there in the picture/video above. 

One reason is in a planche or maltese, gravity pulls the elbow into a lockout, and the bicep contracts to prevent elbow damage. In a victorian, the tricep has to actively pull the entire body weight to peak contraction, which, based on evidence so far, seems impossible. Rodrigues' victorian is as close to a full lockout as I have seen. 

• Upvote 3

Agree with him having hyper extended elbows in Maltese etc. I think also part of that is due to the pressure on the arms which hyper extends it just a bit more. My arms are 'straighter' (or a bit  more hyperextended) in a back lever than when I just lock them. That being said, I indeed don't think his arms are completely locked due to indeed your reason.

Also does the FIG code of points say specifically locked arms or straight arms?