Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand on p bars.

gymmie

Hi guys, today I just tried to swing to a handstand and got it after a few tries. Problem is when I come down from the hs, I completely lost control of the swing and crashed hard. I'll like to know how to train to control the swing and also the swing to hs, is there any progressions to get a hs coz the very first hs i did was kinda pure luck and I did not get any ltr on. Thanks

If you want to slow down the swing down you can planche forward and use your shoulder muscles to decelerate it. Do NOT bend your arms.

Control is developed through swinging to handstand, and doing it a lot. There's no way to teach the swing shrug and extension you need except by doing it.

With your warmups on pbars before you start any skill training we would work 10-15 swing to handstand. Do as many as you can in a row for as many sets as you need... but get up to that number before you start any skill work. Do this for a couple months and your proficiency will skyrocket. You can even finish up after your pbars work with swing to handstands as well.

So basically I can do the swings to hs after I finished up all my dip works and stuff right? I would like to know how exactly do you train to get up to a hs, right now I'm swinging up to a straddle and try to push up to a hs, is that the right way? Another question I'll like to ask how do you roll outta a hs? I realized the first time I crashed hard was because I lost balance and couldn't roll outta it.

Aviv Lugtenaar

I was taught hadnstand by first just swingen high and learning to swing higher and higher and gain more control of the decent. Once someone is is swinging well enough then a spotter helps. You swing to handstand or almost and the spotter holds you a little so you get the feel for control in the handstand. And then you decend by yourself. When you decend you put your shoulders forward and in the beginning you can try with strength to make the decent slow. If you don´t have your shoulders in place then you will fall.

(this is not me)

You can see there with his last decent, before he swings and holds the handstand, how he goes forward and decends slow.

I wouldn't swing to a HS. Awesome way to crunch your family jewels should you come down on one rail.

Just swing with a straight body. Focus on extending the front swing out at first and eventually up. You may have to lean slightly back in the front swing.

There is something to be said about just swinging. I figure it's probably one of the reasons many of my boys are hesistant about swinging to HS. I could spot this as many times as I want to but until they are comfortable swinging down from it, I doubt they will consistently swing to HS. Dunno, maybe.

When swing to HS is something you can do whenever, is when you can insert it as whenever work because you could do it no matter how tired you are.

• 1 month later...

I'll like to know to prevent crashing down during hs, it would be good to learn to front roll on the bars right?

How do I go about learning it?

You should learn how to do a basic roll from sitting on the bars in a straddle. Then get into a shoulderstand (like on rings) and roll forward on the PB. A classic shoulderstand on PB is different on rings as it literally is on the shoulders.

You can do these on parallel blocks set up like PB as well.