Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frustrations

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

To keep it short, what is the best for you bang things to do to see improvements? I did HS/PE1-im today after going back to it based on my form not being 'mastered'. What I saw was my shoulder flexion actually worsen, despite incorporating the move every H1 workout and dead hangs every day. I mean, I do the foundation and handstand strength and mobility moves three days and two days a week, respectively. I also do the stretch series once a week. But damn, that's easily 1-2 hours a day. I have a lot of other stuff going on. I do yoga, incorporated a standing desk, don't sit down and try to squat or hang as much as possible all day long, but these impediments are frustrating. Any suggestions for seeing improvement without incessantly banging one's head against a wall? I'm not seeing the light...

I want to improve hip rotation: internal (think swivel hips); external (think pancake/straddle tuck)

I want to improve shoulder mobility: flexion, extension

I want to improve knee mobility: lateral movement (like skier squats)

and so on. I'm guess I'm just frustrated and worn out from the five day-a-week workouts and minimal return. And yes, I'm putting in concerted, focused efforts and focusing on the workout when working out. Discipline and focus aren't my weaknesses.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hmm...So the 3 day a week Foundation, plus 2 day a week Handstand workout, plus the three stretch courses when adding in other mobility or yoga is too much? Wouldn't have thought that. Now to figure out what to cut down...The plot thickens.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You are doing far too much.  The body improves during recovery.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

What might one suggest to cut down on? I do two Handstand workouts, on T-Th, and three Foundation workouts, M-W-F ( an A-B-A schedule) per week. I also stretch after workouts or do do the Stretch workouts. Considering that I'm seeing minimal progress, should I consider cutting down to one Handstand workout, on Wednesday, and two Foundation workouts, on Monday and Friday? So then ONLY working out M-W-F and then doing the Stretch series on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday? I know less is more, but with so much in the GST program, I'm trying to figure out what to reign in so that I'm still covering everything... Thanks

Generally if you see things moving backwards it means too much or not enough. We already know you are doing enough, so that leaves too much. :)

How much is enough can really vary a lot from person to person, or even where you are in your training, but the simple barometer remans the same, is it moving forwards or backwards.

edit: posted as I did, specifically the first thing to think of cutting out are all the 'extras' and see how that does you.

• Upvote 1

Doug Grainger

What have you added to your daily routine/life since you last felt happy with your progress?    

You may only have the facilities to improve in one at a time of the 3-4 areas you listed above.   Since you mentioned HS in your first paragraph, I assume that's most important.   Maybe keep your various lower body foci in a maintenance mode (possibly to the point of dropping the lower body stretching until your satisfied with your upper body improvement), and spend your time focusing on the thing you want to improve the most.

Coach Sommer

Daniel,

Perhaps the following split would suit your needs:

Mon - H1+F3

Tue - H1+F4

Wed - stretch

Thu - stretch

Fri - F7

Sat - stretch

If necessary, break the Mon/Tue workouts into two separate workouts.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 6

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hm. I'll try that. Yesterday I did H1 and the FSs but today am definitely feeling adrenal fatigue. So instead of doing F4 (for the upper body) I'll rest. I, of course,wouldn't like to but I know that I get sick if I push myself when experiencing adrenal fatigue: nasal drip, grogginess, lethargy, doms, etc., despite having slept for 8.5 hours last night.

@Vinca_minor: To be honest, all the movements are important to me. But having had a history of martial arts and soccer growing up, leg strength and flexibility is where I'm strongest (though still somewhere between SLS/PE1-PE3). My upper body (shoulders, back, and arms) is where I suffer. I'd preferably like to have all-around strength. Thus focusing on Foundation and Handstand but I know that I'm overdoing it and am not sure how to reorganize/cut back without seeing extensive detriments to my progress. For now I'll look at doing:

Mon: H1+F3

Tues: Stretching series

Wed: H1+F4

Thurs: Stretching series

Fri: F7 (or F3+F4)

Sat: Stretch series

I feel like that will afford me enough work on all of the elements in foundation and handstand (which I knowingly need to do as shoulder flexion is still agonizing), while ALSO incorporating the stretch series without overdoing it on any single day. This seems like it might work best as I know that I have typically needed a day's recovery from movements and workouts in the past. Perhaps as my work capacity increases down the line I could do more. I appreciate your feedback. I sure haven't "hit my head against the wall" as much as I have with GST but I do know that from my strength, mobility and flexibility increasing GST works. I just need to experiment out the best possibly way for it to 'work'. Thanks for the insights. I'll see how this all works for me in the coming weeks.

• Upvote 1

Doug Grainger

I seem to be getting better systemic recovery by doing F7 twice a week, and only seriously stretching 1 day per week plus minor limbering most other days (I'm not doing GB Stretch series, though).    This gives me more total recovery days, which I personally need right now.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

One final point of contention. If Foundation and Handstand incorporate mobility AND I'm doing each of the three Stretching series once a week, is it necessary to further stretch post-workout (given my constraints of fatigue and soreness and needed recovery)? If it IS necessary, or suggested, does anyone have any suggestions or necessities for what those stretches might be? 

Jesus Rojas

I seem to be getting better systemic recovery by doing F7 twice a week, and only seriously stretching 1 day per week plus minor limbering most other days (I'm not doing GB Stretch series, though).    This gives me more total recovery days, which I personally need right now.

I support this commentary, I've been doing F7 (M/F) twice a week and I'm seeing great results in the area of muscle development, recovery and avoiding stagnation on elements.

Jesus Rojas

One final point of contention. If Foundation and Handstand incorporate mobility AND I'm doing each of the three Stretching series once a week, is it necessary to further stretch post-workout (given my constraints of fatigue and soreness and needed recovery)? If it IS necessary, or suggested, does anyone have any suggestions or necessities for what those stretches might be? 

If you're doing your iM's and working on the stretch series, I think it's a totally waist of time. I personally don't do post-workout stretches.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thanks man. I appreciate the blunt response. With so much variance in these forums it's hard to sometimes decipher what a best practices approach would be. The coaches clearly have a leg up on that, but they don't have the time to get to every question or concern.

Joachim Nagler

Also don't be afraid to further cut back if needed. Last year while I was neck deep in my Master's Thesis I only did F3+F4 + H1 once per week and still made progress. More is not always better ;)

• Upvote 2

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'm neck deep right now. Got sixty pages of research due by May 15th, lol.