Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Landing in hollow?

Raidho

So I've taken up some parkour-training along with F1 and rehabing after shoulder surgery.

REEEAAALLY basic stuff like jumping and landing silently and in control. I'm staying away from the different vaults until the end of the year.

A question on landing and absorption of impact and what is best for the spine, especially the lower back.

It seems as when I land straight down, I tend to let my lower back go into extension. I do of course land on the balls of my feet and bend the knees, but what about hip rotation and the spine? It feels as if I'm gonna hurt myself if i don't watch it.

Should I think that my spine should be as if in a hollow body position? Aka the tailbone a bit tucked under?

How do I best distribute the impact through out my body if i don't roll? I figure gymnast must be quite good at this since they regularly "stick landings" dismounting from stallbars, rings etc.

Connor Davies

Would you tuck your tailbone under in a deadlift as well?

My assumption is that to correctly bend forward at the hips, some degree of anterior pelvic tilt is necessary.

Edit: also roll. Roll all the time. Roll at every opportunity. The roll is what stops you from breaking a leg or smashing your brains out on the pavement. You can never get enough practice with the roll.

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

Never land in an arch.  Ever.  Unless you enjoy the feeling of your discs and vetebrae exploding.  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Never land in an arch.  Ever.  Unless you enjoy the feeling of your discs and vetebrae exploding.   ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Arch meaning back bent backwards as in a superman hold?

Mikkel Ravn

My twelve year old son goes trampolining occasionally, and it often results in a sore lower back. I assume it is because he doesn't have the core strength to stabilize the torso on impact, and probably also because he is arching his lower back, rather than hollowing. I remember this feeling from when I was a kid too.

Jon Douglas

My twelve year old son goes trampolining occasionally, and it often results in a sore lower back. I assume it is because he doesn't have the core strength to stabilize the torso on impact, and probably also because he is arching his lower back, rather than hollowing. I remember this feeling from when I was a kid too.

Now that you mention it, so do I...

Seems Coach might be on to something ;)

• Upvote 1

Thank you Coach and everybody else for your input. I'm gonna make sure I land with a solid hollow and brace landing impact through the abdominals as much as possible whenever I don't land and roll from now on :D

Connor Davies

I too go trampolining on occasion. Out of all my friends, I'm the only one that doesn't leave the place with a sore lower back.

A sore neck, on the other hand.... But that's really my own damn fault for face planting so many times :)

• Upvote 1