Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HBP carryover to Bench?

Alex Chaney

Alex Chaney

Anyone here achieved a Hollow Back Press and retested their bench?

The HBP is such an awesome exercise for myself. While the "bros" in the gym are having to alternate between flat bench, incline and overhead press, I will soon be able to hit every one of those angles using GST!

My focuses have been the Power Snatch, Front Squat and HBP.

Rajesh Bhat

Apparently planche pushup (a prerequisite to full hbp i think) is equivalent to bench press of TWICE one's bodyweight.

So... yeah :)

Léo Aïtoulha

Apparently planche pushup (a prerequisite to full hbp i think) is equivalent to bench press of TWICE one's bodyweight.

Planche Push-Up is not a prerequisite for HBP.

Planche is a prerequisite for Planche Push-Up.

• Upvote 3

Joshua Slocum

So... yeah :)

This is incorrect. A full planche pushup is significantly harder than a full HBP. Though once you've achieved the full HBP you'll be well on your way to the full PP :)

• Upvote 2

Rajesh Bhat

Cole dano said "planche pushups are a stepping stone in the HBP progression" or something like that...

Murray Truelove

Cole dano said "planche pushups are a stepping stone in the HBP progression" or something like that...

Pseudo planche pushups are part of the HBP progression. They're like a regular pushup but with a significant lean.

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

25 of may of 2014 --> my first benchpress contest and 105 kg

25 of january 2015 --> becnhpress contest with some friends and 122 kg

in between these dates i did no benchpress because it requires a lot of technique and periodization. when i've tried it again ( 25/01/2015) I was starting the last element of HBP.

basically the weak point of benchpress are triceps and shoulders, that is exactly what you are going to train with HBP due to the posture.

• Upvote 6

I think what Cole meant was the tuck planche push ups, shortened to just planche push ups.

Man I have no idea what I said or in what context, the exact move is in Foundation 3 if anyone is really interested. :)

Alex would be one of the guys to actually be able to answer this from experience though.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Personally tuck planche push up has less carryover compared to HBP, simply i feel the biggest variation of weight when I try to extend the legs,. tuck pl does not need it, HBP yes.

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

I only can speak for myself.

Some days ago I trained with a friend and we did close grip bench press... 90kg for 6 reps to mee. Fairly easy. 

So I think yes, it has carryover and a lot. I think the huge dose of PPP, BentArmPlanches etc has something to say about it.

• Upvote 3

• 4 months later...
David Birchall

My BP max 3 years ago was 11x2.5kg for one rep.  I haven't benched since starting GST 3 years ago so I don't know however I know it has probably increased dramatically because I decided to do some military presses to show off the other day when some little gym rat laughed at me for doing handstands in the gym.  Only picked up 80KG but I cleaned it and found I could press it for rep after rep after rep - like 15-20r at least.  I could only do an 80kg press for about three reps from set high in a power rack before I started GST.

I weigh about 90kg now and have HSPU without the wall going up or down for 2-3 reps but still working tediously on the balance in the HS at the top: I always lose balance at the top of the rep as I'm not on the balance part of H1 yet, I was just under 80kg in weight when I started:  This programme and lots of food has turned me into a bit of a monster really haha.  Wish I had taken proper before and after pics, these are like a year-18months before starting GST I think and the newer one is a couple of months ago.... BENCH? WHO CARES

post-3032-0-71235100-1441109167_thumb.pn

post-3032-0-62937400-1441108899_thumb.pn

• Upvote 2

Nice David :D I have a similar weight gain; I weighed in at 72kg in my MMA days (circa 2011, admittedly usually around 75) and now hold steady at 85, and a bit leaner. The instructors at my gym can't figure out what I'm doing to myself. Even a beginner like me still gets classed as 'Oh, you don't count because gymnastics' :D

• Upvote 2

Ivan Pavlovic

Did bench with 92.5 kg 5 month ago and tried it again a week ago and lifted 100 kg. This was part of bet which i did with my friend which said that i cant progress well without weight training, and im still on hbp/pe3 in foundation.  :lol:

• Upvote 4

I don't even wonder. I did standard pushups and bodyweight dips for 7 months. At a bodyweight of 172 pounds I tried to bench press for the first time. I put 170 on the bar, knocked out 3 reps before I decided it was too light. Bumped to 190, 3 more reps before I decided it was too light. Finally put on 230 on the bar(no rest in between these reps). I did 230 pounds for 8 reps and just counted the lighter weights as a warmup.
I decided to not include bench press in my workout routine for basketball. I was already strong with just body weight and it didn't get me overly tight for my sport. What good would a few extra pounds on my bench do? Not much.

Just wish I knew about you guys back in 07 when I was still playing basketball in highschool lol

Yeah, I'd give a LOT to have had these courses in high school :D

I don't even wonder. I did standard pushups and bodyweight dips for 7 months. At a bodyweight of 172 pounds I tried to bench press for the first time. I put 170 on the bar, knocked out 3 reps before I decided it was too light. Bumped to 190, 3 more reps before I decided it was too light. Finally put on 230 on the bar(no rest in between these reps). I did 230 pounds for 8 reps and just counted the lighter weights as a warmup.

I decided to not include bench press in my workout routine for basketball. I was already strong with just body weight and it didn't get me overly tight for my sport. What good would a few extra pounds on my bench do? Not much.

That's intresting, I weight 165 pounds and I can do max 20 consecutive standard pushups(ROM: chest touching the ground and locking elbows at the top) and my max BP(like 6 months ago) is 167 pounds. So how many max push-ups you can do with that ROM ?

That's intresting, I weight 165 pounds and I can do max 20 consecutive standard pushups(ROM: chest touching the ground and locking elbows at the top) and my max BP(like 6 months ago) is 167 pounds. So how many max push-ups you can do with that ROM ?

I did 30 standard every morning and every night before bed. Switched to diamond pushups when that got easy. Most I ever did in one set is 97. But I didn't see any value in doing that, it was more a curiosity thing. Basketball is all explosive.

I will say, diamond pushups work the triceps tendon more so than standard.

You have to master pushups. 20 reps should become as easy as brushing your teeth. Even if you're tired at the end of a long day. You should be able to do 20 with perfect form. That's the standard I kept for myself. 30 reps was later down the road

My experience with mastering pushups is why I don't question the feats of strength that are mentioned on these forums. If I could bench 230 for reps having never touched a bar, only doing pushups and dips. Then there's no question in my mind that harder bodyweight movements would lead to bigger strength gains.

I did 30 standard every morning and every night before bed. Switched to diamond pushups when that got easy. Most I ever did in one set is 97. But I didn't see any value in doing that, it was more a curiosity thing. Basketball is all explosive.

I will say, diamond pushups work the triceps tendon more so than standard.

I think playing basketball is what contributed the most to your increased benchpress, 20+ puchups don't lead so much to streanghth rather than endurance in this specific movement.

I think playing basketball is what contributed the most to your increased benchpress, 20+ puchups don't lead so much to streanghth rather than endurance in this specific movement.

I'm sure it played a part, strictly to do with the plyometric pressing from the nature of the sport. But honestly, I think it's all in how you do the exercise. It's been proven that doing any exercise slow and controlled, vs doing the movement explosively changes the effect. That's exactly what I did. I built an initial strength base then did all reps explosively and maintained that method for months. That on top of dips offered alot. Don't forget that part, I was also doing dips