Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wrist pain

Tomas

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with my wrist for about 4 weeks now. I've been doing calisthenics/street workout based training for over a year now and never had problems with my wrists. 

About 2 months ago i started to get sharp pain in my right wrist while doing back lever if I let go of the bar very quick. About 1½ months ago I took planche back to my training program and with doing planche about 2 times a week and handstands 5 times a week I started to get some pain in my right wrist. After a very intense week of handstanding it got very bad and the next morning I could not even do a push up and at the moment my right wrist only turns back to a 45 degree angle instead of the 90 degree angle without help (I never had problems with wrist flexibility or doing hundreds of push ups). 

I can do push ups with my fists without any problem but when I switch to normal push up stance the pain is bad while trying to lower towards the ground. At first I had pain even when applying pressure to my wrist but that's not the case anymore. I saw a doctor and they took MRI from my hand but nothing wrong there, they thought it could be RSI? I also got my hand professionally massaged if could be about forearm tightness but so far no help. I've also been trying to do wrist mobility exercises but didn't really get much flexibility back. I have no numbness or tingling in my hand.

When the pains started I took a week off and the wrist felt pretty good while doing handstands but after about 5 minutes of training the pain came back. Now i'm in the situation again that I've been resting for 2  weeks but when I gently try to do a push up I feel the pain imminently. I'm thinking should I go to a hand surgeon or should I just try to rest it more? I'm very eager to get back to training but I fear that even a little training will be a drawback to the healing process.. The right wrist/forearm is still stiff but I get no pain when flexing it back. I get the pain in muscle up/push up/bench press etc

Sorry for the long text I wanted to give a good idea of the problem, I hope somebody here could help if they had similar problems. I circled the area where the pain comes. I really appreciate the help!

-Tomas 

post-18643-0-09164000-1427387060_thumb.j

Edited by Tomas

Jesus Rojas

One of the problems I see here, is that after you take a rest in order to heal, you come back too fast to the same exercises that causes the pain. When you get back after a problem you need to step back and start with easier progressions in order to let the affected zone get stronger again without putting too much stress on it. For example if I feel pain in the elbow while doing tuck planche, after I rest and the paing goes away I would pretty much start with planche leans.

• Upvote 1