Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building the body for rings

Gregor

Gregor, might I interest you in this?

It may or may not apply, but I think it an interesting coincidence that this is the mobility workout of the day.

Nothing special,...

Today I had 4h of training....

30 min regular-basic warm up with emphasis on shoulder prevention warming up

45 min shoulder streching (guys in the gym said they never saw such unstrechable shoulders :oops: :lol: )

15 min HSs:

- wall HS

- Floor HS

- ring HS

. damn I forgot parallets HS

30 min routine warming up:

- basic swings

- 2x5 assisted iron cross pulls

- kip to maltese+basic swings to HS

- giant swings forward

- kip to iron cross, press to maltese, jonnason

- giant swings backwards, 2 straps inverted crosses

- dismount

- azarian, pike-bent press to inverted

30 min of routine doing (halfs):

- 2x back roll to maltese,nakayama, pike press to inverted, inlocation, giant swing to HS forward, giant swing to HS backwards, dismount

- 1x back roll to maltese, nakayama (jumped off, I didn't like the execution)

- 2x jonnason, honma to cross, press to maltese, kip to L-seat , straight body bent elbows press to HS, giant swing backwards, dismount (second was tuck-I was to tired to do it straight)

1h of ordinary strength training:

- 2x back roll to maltese, nakayama, pike press to inverted

- 1x azarian, pike press to inverted (litlle to high and litle bent elbows)

- 1x azarian, pike press to inverted, back uprise to inverted (same but slightly better)

- 1x back roll to maltese, nakayama, press to maltese (hips little low, low energy)

- 2x assisted 2 HS to inverted and back to HS, 1 inverted hold and decline to inverted hang

- 1x aprox. 8s iron cross hold with 3,5 kg belt

- 1x aprox. 5 s maltese hold with 3,5 kg belt (litlle low)

15 minutes of HS and shoulder streching

The last 15 minutes :arrow: actualy I was 15 minutes late on training :mrgreen:

I'm still tired of traveling from Ghent (yesterday I was zombie all day).

Nice long training! I'm sure working more shoulder mobility will benefit you, it definately has helped my ring swings (first time doing them in like 3 months they were actually better than when I used to practice them once weekly).

You also forgot single bar HS :mrgreen:

hahahaha, yes single bar in ficial rings undergrip would be bene (due to rings specifity fo turning rings out in HS).

It must benefit me! :mrgreen: If not all that HS work wich I hate will have no meaning :lol:

Nothing new realy, just minor training chandges wich happens once a while every few weeks...Netxt week I have another competition in Ostrava, Checz Republic.

Always interesting to read here so please do update whenever you feel like it :mrgreen:

hehehe :)

I couldn't write before (internet connections again) because of the big floods (almost whole capitol city was under the water).

This time we changed strength days from monday/wednsday/friday to light monday/semi hard tuesday-routines day/light wednsday/semi hard thursday/lihgt Friday.

I wrote light meaning on a strength not that training is light :mrgreen:

Now I'm still not in shape to do more harder trainings (bigger volume as I did before). Yesterday I was so tired that I couldn't stand, My knees where shaking (and what exercise I do for legs-ammm none :roll: :lol: ) :mrgreen:

Michael Traynor

This entire topic is excellent and inspirational but also makes me feel sad that I will in all likelihood never achieve anything near this level of ability. I'm not sure what I would give to be able to but it wouldbe a lot!

Great work! Something I always wanted to ask someone at your level Gregor: Do you ever even for a moment regret having to put in so many hours to acheive such a high level, or do you just love every second?

There are a hard days to, and thinking why am I doing this. Most bodhering isn't a hard work necessary to achieve all that but my high expectations and some times they look so far away.

In the end it's worth any minute of that.

Lambertus is probably Yuri's middle name. Maybe he uses it now becauses he wants to symbolize the new start of his gymnastic career? I thought it was a great routine, by the way :)

Joshua Naterman

They even put it in mostly lowercase!!! What the heck?! Maybe it took up too much space capitalized... :lol: Indeed it was a great routine. He clearly took no time off.

Hey Gregor I know you're using glutamine in morning and before bed (or at least used to), how did you find this helping you and do you have any studies showing an effect of it? I need practice searching on pubmed :lol:

I didn't notice any special effect...I did find some studies showing effect but it's always hard to say this is from this and that is from that supplement because I use a bounch of diffrent supplements and better regeneration was from all of them so I couldn't say how much it helped me but if it gave me few % it was worth it.

ps: I had a competition this week at Ostrava and I must say I hadn't had worst routine for few years :x :x :x Strength was ok but that was all what was ok. I tried to do good swing part and had just to much strength on swing that I couldn't hold a HS and the troubles then just began...I should be at least on a podium there if I judge by competitors name...

Guess my extreme extended shoulder streching has a big efect on my strength (I'm loosing all muscle contraction and getting it back very late-1h). So I'll do extended streching only on a Thuesday and thusday and on a strength day only a quick strevh prior the work and bigger at the end (I will need to be very carefull due to already big muscle damage from the strength training).

I will write if it's better for me.

It's a already noticable effect on my shoulders but not there yet and I'm not used of doing with that shoulder mobility.

Alexander Moreen

Could you please post some of the things you are doing to stretch your shoulders? I'm also recovering from a shoulder problem and could always use more stuff to keep it healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent! I'm new to this forum. I've been reading the "Must reads" (FAQ, Stickies, etc..). I saw some of the great gymnasts are on these forums. I didn't expect to see real gymnasts on this forum. I thought I would find all beginners like me & Coach Sommer. :P

I see that you, Gregor are an international level gymnast. Could you update your profile (on this forum), or have a website/webpage/ atleast a youtube channel. Its guys like you who inspire us.

Could you please post some of the things you are doing to stretch your shoulders? I'm also recovering from a shoulder problem and could always use more stuff to keep it healthy.

I don't have anything on a camera.

Excellent! I'm new to this forum. I've been reading the "Must reads" (FAQ, Stickies, etc..). I saw some of the great gymnasts are on these forums. I didn't expect to see real gymnasts on this forum. I thought I would find all beginners like me & Coach Sommer.

I see that you, Gregor are an international level gymnast. Could you update your profile (on this forum), or have a website/webpage/ atleast a youtube channel. Its guys like you who inspire us.

No I don't have any website or youtube channel.

Update my profile? how do you mean that?

No I don't have any website or youtube channel.

Update my profile? how do you mean that?

You didn't get me. I know that you don't have any website or a youtube channel. I'm requesting you to have a website or a webpage or a blog. This webpage of kolimenchkove http://championships.kolimechkov.com/ is very nice.

By update your profile I mean, atleast you could add some info about you on your profile page ( memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1954 ). You can add stuff here from your "User Control Panel". Of course you know this. You are a moderator.

Welll.... maybe Gregor hasn't done so for a reason? :) Not everyone likes to share a lot of personal information on the Internet. If you want to know more about him, just go ahead and ask him (here in his thread or via a personal message). I'm not trying to speak for Gregor here but I presume he has better things to do with his time than putting websites and Youtube channels online for our pleasure :)

Joshua Naterman

Yea, I just get a strange vibe from these recent posts. Enthusiasm is great, but remember that Gregor doesn't owe us anything. We are lucky that he enjoys being here, it isn't the other way around. Chances are that the posts aren't meant to aggravate anyone, but I can see how they would.

Yeah the "you could at least" seems a bit too 'expecting'. Read Gregors posts in this thread and his nutrition thread and the other ring thread he made. There is A LOT of info about training, Gregors personal training and Gregor himself if that interests you aswell.

On to another topic, Gregor how is your experience with using weights for ring strength? I don't have access to the gym all the time and it's raining every day so no XR and decided to supplement with some weights training. If you could take a look at what I performed in my log I'd be very happy :D

Long time no updates...

Yesterdays training was very good (swing day with some strength exercises), bit suprised (I had minor neck injury so I couldn't train for 3 days).

Today's training:

1. HS work

2. Pully system:

10x IC pulls

10x inverted IC presses

10x maltese to planche presses

5x IC to inverted IC presses

3. Rings Warm out (in this particular order):

- "stretch" swings

- basic swings, last to HS forward + 5x assisted IC pulls with hold on last cca. 5s

- 5x assisted IC pulls + from dead hang inlocate, giant swing to HS forward (GStHSf) + 3x GStHSf

- inlocat + GStHSf + jonnason + maltese from support (stradle legs)

- kip to IC, press to maltese (stradle) + kip to maltese

- 4x GStHSb (b stands for backwards)

- disomunt

- azarian, press to maltese

- azarian, pike press tuck legs press to inverted IC

- azarian press to inverted IC

4. Routines:

- 1x routine without first F-element (quite good, need litlle more stamina in strength and in swing part)

- 1x second half of routine

5. Strength elements alone or in combinations:

- 3x azarian, press to inverted IC (firs and third where very good, 0,1 tense of deduction)

- 1x azarian, STRAIGHT press to inverted IC (I was straight in body line, went to further ahead with shoulders and litlle elbow bending)

- 3x back roll to maltese

- 3x kip to IC, press to maltese (3rd was the best).

I ended 15 minutes earlier regular rings routine warm up. I felt I could do much more, but coach said it's enough and we didn't risk any neck injury.

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic