Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building the body for rings

Gregor

I decided to make a new topic due to new prioritys and goals. This my new topic is also more suitable by topic title "building the body for rings".

As you may already noticed I discused with Coach in previous topic "tranzition from maltese (swallow) to inverted cross" about returning back to the basics and to reorganizing of training program.

After a break I already had 3 minor injurys: first-joint of finger flexors,second-rear deltoid from assisting slippery kid from sweat and third side deltoid from giant swing forward.

So I've had 3x/day of 15 minutes massage with 3 diffrent creams and alot of elastic band work

Changes:

:arrow: instead of 2 high intesty training sessions per week to 3 trainings per week (monday/wedensday/friday)

:arrow: 2 trainings per week with auxiliary exercises like planches on p.bars and so on (tuesday/thursday)

:arrow: more pully system to feel the perfect line for warming up on high intesity training sessions

:arrow: more elastic band warming up and elbow prehab dips, push ups

Today's training was at 90% - we didn't want to start with full after a minor injury.

1.Pully-warming up:

5x iron cross press to support

5x iverted iron cross press to handstand

5x back lever press to maltese press to planche

5x iron cross straight press to inverted cross

Duration: 10 minutes

2.Rings:

1x azarian-nakayama 2x3s

1x kip to maltese 3s

3x azarian pike press to inverted cross (litlle problem with bent elbows)

2x back uprise to inverted cross 2s (second litlle to qucikly to hold position)

2x back roll to maltese 3s (not so good today)

2x victorian (second one was better)

Duration: 1hour

3.weights:

3x5 reps /13kg back lever pres to maltese press to planche with each hold of 1s (on a bench)

2x5 reps /13kg front lever press to victorian with each hold 1s (on a bench)

1x5 reps /12kg front leveer press to victorian with each hold 1s (on a bench)

some presis for triceps....

Duration: 25 minutes

whole training with streching and warming up cca. 2,5 hours.

After training I had 20 minutes sesion of hot/cold showering.

Previous week I already done basic strength rings moves with 1kg belt and weights were litlle more heavier.

Nice work, Gregor.

I've been doing all your weight exercises also but I usually can only do it good with 9kg

9kg back lever pres to maltese press to planche with each hold of 1s (on a bench) sometimes 11kg

/9kg front lever press to victorian with each hold 1s (on a bench)

9g front leveer press to victorian with each hold 1s (on a bench)

I like those exercises a lot, I pretend I'm actually on rings when I do them. :D

Thanks.

I've done vious week with 18kg but only 3 reps.

But this are just an auxiliary exercises, the real work is on the rings :twisted:

• Upvote 1

David Picó García

Sure on rings EVERYTHING is another story, but i find interesting the weights point, as is more measurable point for tracking progress (or how far i'm from a position :P ). It would be nice to post at which weight you feel the same preasure on arms at maltesse position on rings and on a bench with dumbbels.

Sure on rings EVERYTHING is another story, but i find interesting the weights point, as is more measurable point for tracking progress (or how far i'm from a position :P ).

That's one of the reasons I like the weights a lot too. It's easy to tell you're getting stronger when you use them. I wish I could try one of those ring harnesses that take off half your bodyweight. Does anyone make one of those devices for home use?

Sure on rings EVERYTHING is another story, but i find interesting the weights point, as is more measurable point for tracking progress (or how far i'm from a position :P ).

That's one of the reasons I like the weights a lot too. It's easy to tell you're getting stronger when you use them. I wish I could try one of those ring harnesses that take off half your bodyweight. Does anyone make one of those devices for home use?

You could measure in diffrent ways, like time duration of exercises, how tired you are, increasing volume, increasing training sessions, adding weights to your body,....

Yesterdays' training;

Strength:

1.2x parallets :arrow: L-seat-press to planche-press to handstand-decline to planche-decline to L-seat 3x+straddle to planche-press to straddle handstand-decline to straddle planche...3x+push ups in stradle planche 3x

2.15x+10s hold leg back rises (for lower spinal erectors): with coach pushing legs down each rep and all hold

3.5x/5/5x/10x/10x 5kg upper back body rises: up and down/left circle/right circle/ moving left and right 15°above the straight body line

Rings:

just little swings, we didn't want to risk it to go on all or nothing.

TODAY'S TRAINING:

All gains from previous training are marked in bold and bigger letters, all changes in red coloured letters.

1.Pully-warming up:

Duration: 10 minutes

2.Rings:

1x azarian-nakayama 2x3s

2x kip to maltese 3s

3x azarian pike press to inverted cross (the last one almost perfect)

2x back uprise to inverted cross 2s (second litlle to late to hold position)

2x back roll to maltese 3s (way better today)

Duration1: 50 minutes

1x handstand decline to inverted cross-press to handstand (with legs on cables with coach assistance) 3x with hold 2s

1x handstand decline to inverted cross-press to handstand (without legs on cables with coach assistance

1x handstand decline to inverted cross (with coach and without legs on cables) 5s

Duration2: 10 minutes

Duration1+Duration2: 50+10 minutes=60 minutes

3.weights:

3x5 reps /14,5kg back lever pres to maltese press to planche with each hold of 1s (on a bench)

Duration1: 25 minutes

3x5 reps /3kg belt front leveer press to victorian with each hold 5s (on a pully system)

3x12 reps /18,5kg dumbbell fly press (for gain for strenght at 45° above from maltese-for pike and straight press from cros to inverted cross)

1x30s /18,5kg hold at bottom position in fly press

Duration2: 5 minutes

Duration1+Duration2: 25+5minutes=30 minutes

After training I had 20 minutes sesion of hot/cold showering.

We will go on 100% probably at Friday.

And as you may see, you can measure your progress in decreasing rest time or increasing volume...

If I'll be in a mood, I will write my new special nutrition protocol for all this.

And I'm sorry but I changed at least 10x times my previous post due to lack of passed information and aesthetic corrections. :oops:

Aviv Lugtenaar

Hey Gregor, this is a great topic :D I was wondering if there are any video´s of you competing or a video of your exercise on youtube or somewhere else on internet?

Edit: I looked you up and I think this is you right :) ?

Hey guys!

Great topic!! definately following here

I totally agree :D

Some questions please:

1. BL press to Maltese press to Planche is done lying with your back on a bench, looking up to the ceiling?

2. FL press to Victorian is done the other way round? (lying on your chest on a bench so you are facing the ground)

3. Would it be better to use a bench that is quite short so that your legs and some parts of the upper body are airborne to recruit more muscle?

On http://www.american-gymnast.com/home/index.cfm (AG Training Center) there is an article about learning the Maltese on Rings. They use the "Maltese Dumbell Press" lying on a pommel horse which for smaller athletes is long enough to support nearly the whole body (you have to login to read/see that).

Thanks in advance :)

Hey guys!
Great topic!! definately following here

I totally agree :D

Some questions please:

1. BL press to Maltese press to Planche is done lying with your back on a bench, looking up to the ceiling?

2. FL press to Victorian is done the other way round? (lying on your chest on a bench so you are facing the ground)

3. Would it be better to use a bench that is quite short so that your legs and some parts of the upper body are airborne to recruit more muscle?

On http://www.american-gymnast.com/home/index.cfm (AG Training Center) there is an article about learning the Maltese on Rings. They use the "Maltese Dumbell Press" lying on a pommel horse which for smaller athletes is long enough to support nearly the whole body (you have to login to read/see that).

Thanks in advance :)

1.Yes

2.Yes

3.If you are prepairing for maltese you should already have core strength to hold position....So it's not necessary.

13.8.2009, THURSDAY:

Strength:

1.2x parallets :arrow: L-seat-press to planche-press to handstand-decline to planche-decline to L-seat 3x+straddle to planche-press to straddle handstand-decline to straddle planche...3x+push ups in stradle planche 3x

2.15x+10s hold leg back rises (for lower spinal erectors): with coach pushing legs down each rep and all hold

3.5x/5/5x/10x/10x 5kg upper back body rises: up and down/left circle/right circle/ moving left and right 15°above the straight body line

Rings technique:

1.litlle swings

2.litlle swings with last on back uprise

3.litlle swings with last on front uprise

3.giant swings forward

4.giant swings backward

5.dismounts

6.mixed giant swings forward and backward with last hold in handstand 30s

7.2 handstand holds 30s

I didn't feel any pain im my shoulders, so great.

14.8.2009, FRIDAY:

Today was upper body overload and THIS IS ONE OF MY TOP 3 TRAINIGS OF MY LIFE!!!

All gains from previous training are marked in bold and bigger letters, all changes are in red coloured letters.

1.Pully-warming up:

Duration: 4 minutes

2.a) Rings:

1x /1kg belt azarian-nakayama 2x3s

3x /1kg belt kip to maltese 3s

2x azarian pike press to inverted cross (second was good)

2x azarian straight press to inverted cross (first with bend elbows,second better but still bent

3x back uprise to inverted cross 2s + giant swing to handstand

1x honma to cross-press to maltese 2x2s

1x back roll to maltese 3s

3x back uprise to planche (not good at all, no holds :oops: :oops: )

Duration1: 57 minutes

2 handstands increase; 1kg belt increase in some exercises (4x); 1x azarian,1x honma to cross 2x inverted cross,1x maltese =7 elements increase and 4x 1kg increase

2.b)Rings-coach assistance:

1x handstand decline to inverted cross-press to handstand (with legs on cables and with coach assistance) 3x with hold 2s

1x handstand decline to inverted cross-press to handstand (without legs on cables and with coach assistance

1x handstand decline to inverted cross (with coach and without legs on cables) 5s

Duration2: 7 minutes

Duration1+Duration2: 57+7 minutes=64 minutes

3.weights:

2x5 90kg/2x5 85kg/1x5 82,5kg bench press

2x5 reps /15kg back lever pres to maltese press to planche with each hold of 1s (on a bench)

2x5 reps /14kg back lever pres to maltese press to planche with each hold of 1s (on a bench)

1x5 reps /13kg back lever pres to maltese press to planche with each hold of 1s (on a bench)

2x12 reps,1x8 /18,5kg dumbbell fly press (for gain for strenght at 45° above from maltese-for pike and straight press from cros to inverted cross)

1x30s /18,5kg hold at bottom position in fly press

3x5 /18,5kg hammer curl 2s up/2s down

4x18,5kg/3x18,5kg/2x18,5kg curl 2s up/2s down

8x/5x/3x /how much it weights, I don't know???? skull crasher

Duration:45 minutes

After training I had 20 minutes sesion of 2x5 minutes hot/2x5minutes cold showering.

wish i was this strong :mrgreen:

out of curiosity how much core strenth you think is enough for maltese comparing to other exercises? for example full backlever or xx body levers etc.

wish i was this strong :mrgreen:

out of curiosity how much core strenth you think is enough for maltese comparing to other exercises? for example full backlever or xx body levers etc.

Just know with this post I made all the corrections on my previous post :oops:

Maybe 50% or more, because when you are in maltese you can not think about holding your body straight but just how to press down.

• Upvote 1

ok thanks :D

any reason for you benching or you just felt like it? lots of questions i know :oops:

If you see, the bench is almost the last thing I do, I'm working on system 5x5 so for strength and litlle hypertrophy. But main reason is I like it :mrgreen:

17.8.2009, MONDAY:

Bad training, I was disapointed!!!

All gains from previous training are marked in bold and bigger letters, all changes are in red coloured letters.

1.Pully-warming up:

Duration:5 minutes

2.a) Rings:

1x /1kg belt azarian-nakayama 2x5s

1x /1kg belt back roll to maltese-nakayama-press to maltese 3x2s

1x back roll to maltese-nakayama-press to maltese 3x2s

3x azarian pike press to inverted cross

1x azarian straight press to inverted cross

3x back uprise to inverted cross 2s

2x honma to cross-press to maltese 2x2s

2x victorian

Duration1: 55 minutes

2.b)Rings-coach assistance:

2x kip to maltese-decline to back lever-uprise to planche (with coach assistance)

2x handstand decline to inverted cross-press to handstand 2x3rd with hold 5s (without legs on cables and with coach assistance

Duration2: 13 minutes 30 seconds

Duration1+Duration2: 55+13 minutes+30 seconds=68 minutes and 30 seconds

3.weights:

1x2 100kg/1x3 95kg/3x3 90kg bench press (VERRY BAD-NO ENERGY AT ALL)

2x3 reps /17,5kg back lever pres to maltese press to planche with each hold of 1s (on a bench)

5x5 reps /17,5 dumbbell with 5s hold on each rep in extreme strech fly press (for gain for strenght at 45° above from maltese-for pike and straight press from cros to inverted cross)

1x30s /17,5kg hold at bottom position in fly press

whole training with streching and warming up cca. 3,5 :cry: hours. :shock: :? :?

After training I had 20 minutes sesion of 2x5 minutes hot/2x5minutes cold showering.

AGAIN VERRY BAD TRAINING, NO ENERGY, NO MUSCLE TENSION, AHHHHH..... :evil::evil::evil:

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic