Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Floor Tricks and Spins

Dylan Robertson

Dylan Robertson

Are there going to be any courses that will cover flips, spins and other tricks that are commonly seen in in Floor or Vault? Or is it just better to go to a gymnastics class in your local area?

P.s. On anunrelated note, are the other apparatuses planning on being taught?

Edited by Dylan Robertson

Jon Douglas

I don't have anything concrete, but Coach has expressed a hesitation to teach tumbling per se via the online courses. Along the lines of widely varying requirements, high technical expertise required to pick up early errors before they become major problems, and I imagine safety issues.

Broadly speaking I would imagine you can expect basics on most apparatus, basic swing variants etc. Coach's work with his athletes has had a focus on separating the technical from the strength training as much as possible.

All that said, there have been rumours about a technical gymnastics series possibly under consideration after the GST curriculum.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there will be unsupervised online tumbling learning, it is just dangerous.

And I'm saying that from my own (bad) experience, never try to learn tricks without good physical prep and a good teacher.

Joshua Slocum

Last time the staff weighed in on this, I believe the answer was "no". And in my opinion, for good reason: learning flipping skills safely requires good equipment and experienced coaches. It's not something where you can just post a few videos online and expect people to make good progress. 

Dylan Robertson

So it would be best to go to a nearby Gymnastics center and take classes to learn those Elements?

Joshua Slocum

So it would be best to go to a nearby Gymnastics center and take classes to learn those Elements?

Yes, absolutely.