Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Starting work towards handbalancing and contortion at age 26

Hannah Sayre

Hannah Sayre

Hello all - once upon a time did martial arts as a kid, then went to college/grad school and sat on my butt for almost a decade. At 26, after seeing a couple of Cirque and Cavalia shows I got really interested in seeing just what I might be able to achieve physically again. I've been lurking and considering the GB courses for a while, and finally just decided to dip my feet in with the online classes to get started.

What I'm particularly interested in working towards are handbalancing and contortion skills, and/or possibly some aerial work, all of which I've been particularly impressed by as a woman in terms of strength. I live in Seattle so have access eventually to quite a few adult circus-training classes as well. Though I've been progressing pretty steadily with flexibility (and always had a pretty good base in that to start), I don't yet have the strength required to even start those (most require being able to do a pull-up/hold a handstand) which is why I'm trying to build up to that on my own with these programs. 

I'm just curious what other ladies that started this type of work past the traditionally "prime" age to start it were able to achieve? I've no illusions about going something like pro starting at 26; I just want to be the strongest, most badass version of myself I can. As a video game artist it's easy to dream :)

Best of luck to anyone and everyone in this common venture!