Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Skills for beginner

AvivHalevy

Hi everyone, I want to learn some skills by myself. what you recommend for me to start with?(can you give me 3-4 skills pls)

Mario Mario

You should look into the foundation course.

It covers Front lever, Straddle planche, Side lever, Manna, Hollow back press, Rope climbing and Single leg squats.

You should look into the foundation course.

It covers Front lever, Straddle planche, Side lever, Manna, Hollow back press, Rope climbing and Single leg squats.

I already can do all thouse things exapt manna . I ask about things like Ring Kip

Toni Laukkavaara

Could you show us some of your straddle planche, hollow back press and side lever + rope climb work?

• Upvote 4

Joshua Slocum

Are you looking for strength moves to work, or more dynamic movements like swings and cartwheels?

Alexander Egebak

To clear things up - what is your current level of strength?

On this forum we believe that rings strength work should be postponed until certain mastery standards for strength skills not being done on rings has been achieved.

tnx but from some reason this link doesnt work.

"You don't have permission to access / on this server."

Are you looking for strength moves to work, or more dynamic movements like swings and cartwheels?

Dynamic movements. On the strength moves I already know how to train.

To clear things up - what is your current level of strength?

On this forum we believe that rings strength work should be postponed until certain mastery standards for strength skills not being done on rings has been achieved.

Pretty much good I think. I came from street workout I was the champion here in 2013 (Israel) and I want to get in the gymnastics world ( I know I lil bit old for this) but if I will know what to goal for I will achieve this.

Just to sum up this subject.

On the strength side I think I pretty good, I have a lot to improve I know that but I will achieve my goals. 

On the dynamic side it's not familiar to me and I have no idea where to start.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

IIRC the USAG has a list of compulsory routines from level 1-10, but I can't find it right now.

Regardless, there's compulory elements that have to be in a rings routine, like handstands and swings. Your best bet is to figure out what ones of those you can't do and work towards that.

If you can find a gym somewhere that offers hands on coaching, it is an investment you cannot afford to pass up.

IIRC the USAG has a list of compulsory routines from level 1-10, but I can't find it right now.

Regardless, there's compulory elements that have to be in a rings routine, like handstands and swings. Your best bet is to figure out what ones of those you can't do and work towards that.

If you can find a gym somewhere that offers hands on coaching, it is an investment you cannot afford to pass up.

Tnx man. I didnt find it in the website of the USAG but I found on youtube viedo about each level. If anyone have the list I will be very tnxfull.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

If anyone can find the list I will be very thankful.

I think it might have been posted on the forum somewhere a few years back. I wanna say Blairbob? I know he's an actual gymnastics coach (although I think he mostly trains girls) so he may be able to point you in the right direction regardless.

• Upvote 1

In year's past, NGJA.org used to post a cliff notes pdf that could be printed out that had a rough guide to the routines. It wasn't as concise as the text in the official JO program book. However, they haven't really been doing this anymore or for the latest quaddrennium. Or rather whoever was creating that document, isn't anymore.

If you use google, you can search for the routine text. Try something like " USAG Men's/Boy's JuniorOlympic program routines." You might find a hit somewhere. 

I wanna say Blairbob? I know he's an actual gymnastics coach (although I think he mostly trains girls) so he may be able to point you in the right direction regardless. 

Hahah, I originally started coaching rec then a boy's preteam, then girl's preteam/advanced boys and whatever else rec. The next gym after that was primarily helping with girl's compulsory but also coaching rec and subbing for the boy's team/rec as well. After that, I took over a boy's team and did boys for about 3 years straight only subbing girl's compulsory/optional when need be. Then switched back to girl's team since that club had a strong men's program (UC Berkeley's club program for adolescents). Another gym had me work with the boys team a bit while I coached girl's compulsory/optionals primarily.

In 2014, I worked more with a boy's pre-team/team than girl's since their girl's program had enough staffing for the moment. I would have also worked with rec and whatever else because the money would have been good enough that I could care less.  ;) 

In 2013, I worked more with girl's as that gym didn't even have a boy's program. 

Also for both 2013/4, I worked at camps but mostly girls.

Basically, I'll work for whatever pays me the best these days. I'd probably prefer to stay in the women's program but I'll coach in a men's program if it's something that is necessary or fits well. I just find it more difficult to work in a men's programs, because there are less gymnasts and less hours and typically less pay.

Sometimes I need to coach girls to stress relief from the boys but then I miss all the cool apparatus. On the other hand, sometimes I need to coach some boys because it's fun and need the stress relief and miss coaching the men's event. For instance, I pretty much never want to coach Balance Beam or dance/choreography because I would rather hand it off to a female coach and coach tumbling, bars and vault.

If anything, I prefer coaching men's floor the least because boys on average are just not as clean on it compared to the women. However, it gets a lot more interesting in the later levels.

Basically, I am the Boba Fett of Gymnastics coaching ^_^ . We'll see where I end up this summer if I go back into coaching or if I retire from gymnastics and pursue some other avenues (WL/fitness or back to the hell and $$ of IT).

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

The USAG compulsory routines can be found in this document: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Men/AGCP_Update3.pdf

Rings routines start on page 29. 

Here are some youtube videos of the compulsory routines: level 4level 5level 6level 7

Here are two good videos focused on developing the rings swing and also some more advanced flipping elements: swings flips

• Upvote 3

That update does not include the full routines as it contains replacement pages for the routines program book. It shows some but not all of the routines.

I think it might have been posted on the forum somewhere a few years back. I wanna say Blairbob? I know he's an actual gymnastics coach (although I think he mostly trains girls) so he may be able to point you in the right direction regardless.

tnx u.

In year's past, NGJA.org used to post a cliff notes pdf that could be printed out that had a rough guide to the routines. It wasn't as concise as the text in the official JO program book. However, they haven't really been doing this anymore or for the latest quaddrennium. Or rather whoever was creating that document, isn't anymore.

If you use google, you can search for the routine text. Try something like " USAG Men's/Boy's JuniorOlympic program routines." You might find a hit somewhere. 

ok tnx u i will search for this.

Is this you?

Friend of mine one of the best workouter in Israel.

This is me in the comption I dont have my routine :\

https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/10365353_727723373940876_5443006338296576177_o.jpg 

The USAG compulsory routines can be found in this document: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Men/AGCP_Update3.pdf

Rings routines start on page 29. 

Here are some youtube videos of the compulsory routines: level 4level 5level 6level 7

Here are two good videos focused on developing the rings swing and also some more advanced flipping elements: swings flips

Thx u so much!

Just always remember to never exert yourself, even as a beginner! Do lots of warm ups before trying the skills you want! :)