Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

steady state training

Josh Tate

im not sure if theres already a specific thread on this but im curious what type of holds and movements need ssc and what doesnt.

a nice list of fsp and fbe which do and dont need ssc would be nice so i dont have to keep googleing everything.

if theres already a thread on this please direct me to it.  there wasnt a sticky for it so i figured there wasnt a list yet.

Connor Davies

Personally I just steady state anything that causes me joint pain. I keep the volume low and just work it until everything stops hurting. Maybe a bit longer to deload.

Steady state isn't complicated dude. You'll know if you need to do it or not.

that seems like a good way to think about it but will you always be able to feel when your joints cant handle the load?

Alexander Egebak

that seems like a good way to think about it but will you always be able to feel when your joints cant handle the load?

You will be able to feel when your joints cannot handle the load.

ok thanks, good to know.  im actually backing off my bl work because of uncomfortable elbow tension, no pain yet.  gonna work on german hangs and skin the cat more until my elbows feels good.  would you recommend using ssc to progress with german hangs?

im just starting to do everything on the rings now and wanted to get some info on this type of training.

Alexander Egebak

ok thanks, good to know.  im actually backing off my bl work because of uncomfortable elbow tension, no pain yet.  gonna work on german hangs and skin the cat more until my elbows feels good.  would you recommend using ssc to progress with german hangs?

im just starting to do everything on the rings now and wanted to get some info on this type of training.

Rings are not for beginners. Due to their instability you need very well conditioned muscles and tendons which can bare the load. If you are not prepared you will either shake excessively and eventually injure yourself or you will compromise form and injury yourself/stall your progress.

My suggestion is leaving the rings for now. Sure you can play around on them, no harm is done, but strength training on rings are not good.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

Would you recommend using ssc to progress with german hangs?

YES! That's exactly the sort of exercise that requires an SSC. High tendon straight, high mobility requirement, high injury potential....

I'd even recommend you SSC feet supported German hangs at first, until your elbows and shoulders get more prepared.

FWIW, I'm currently in the middle of a skin-the-cat SSC, 5 sets of 2 reps. I went from feeling it in the abs, to feeling it in the traps, to waiting for the last of the elbow and shoulder complaints to shut up. Eventually what you're doing should feel EASY. Otherwise you're advancing too fast and not reaping the full benefits of the SSC.

YES! That's exactly the sort of exercise that requires an SSC. High tendon straight, high mobility requirement, high injury potential....

I'd even recommend you SSC feet supported German hangs at first, until your elbows and shoulders get more prepared.

FWIW, I'm currently in the middle of a skin-the-cat SSC, 5 sets of 2 reps. I went from feeling it in the abs, to feeling it in the traps, to waiting for the last of the elbow and shoulder complaints to shut up. Eventually what you're doing should feel EASY. Otherwise you're advancing too fast and not reaping the full benefits of the SSC.

awesome this is what i needed to know.

do you think i could start out on rings with feet supported, or would a bar be better?  im trying to move exclusively to rings where i can.

im about to start a whole new workout regiment with ssc for just about every work out i do, even grip training with grippers since these aggravate my wrist after a few sets and limit the amount of power i can squeeze with.

Connor Davies

I'm about to start a whole new workout regiment with ssc for just about every work out I do.

Ouch.

I wouldn't recommend you SSC EVERYTHING, just a couple of advanced elements that you're not quite ready to train normally.

The bulk of your training should be made up of exercises that don't bother your joints, performed AFTER your SSC work, that you can continue to add volume to while your SSC remains constant. This way you can still progress and add volume, but your getting the conditioning benefits of an SSC with advanced elements that would otherwise be in accessible to you.

But to answer your question, I recommend German hang on the rings. There's slightly more give there, so it should be kinder to your joints. Just make sure your hands don't float TOO far apart, or you're missing the point...

• Upvote 1

i think im going to do a 24 workout schedule instead of a 3 x 8 (days x weeks).  i have a busy schedule with school so if i miss a few days in that 8 week span it wont mess me up and ill still get the total 24 workouts in before testing again.

Connor Davies

You don't necessarily have to do exactly however many workouts. Just wait until things have been easy for a while.

yeah that makes sense but i like the systematic approach so i dont get cocky and do too much too soon.  im not sure i could properly gauge myself yet since ive just started.  maybe after a few cycles ill be able to better tell whats happening. 

• Upvote 1