Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How hard is Freestanding HSPU ?

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

I would like to know the strength difference on the rings and the P-bars.

Also would 15-20 reps full ROM, good form freestanding HSPU on P-bars be considered impossible ?

Mikkel Ravn

The world record is ~160, I believe, made by one of Coach's acquaintances.

• Upvote 2

Ivan Pavlovic

The world record is ~160, I believe, made by one of Coach's acquaintances.

Im pretty sure i read that this was done with wall support. And i think it was less then 160. :D

Léo Aïtoulha

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/8398-how-to-balance-for-handstands-on-parallel-bars/

Handstands on the parallel bars are controlled via adjustments in the wrists rather than the fingers as on floor. A Ring Handstand however is a completely separate animal and one that I recommend that you leave until later in your GST development as it has nothing to do with handstands on either the floor or the parallel bars.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Balance wise - yes, strength wise - no. Ring strength, which ring handstands are part of, is a completely separate animal with its own list of prerequisites and progressions.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Freestanding HSPU on the floor/on PB is covered in the Foundation Series. Thus, this is a beginner exercise.

Ring HSPU is probably covered in Ring Two. Thus, this is an intermediate exercise.

About the 163 HSPU.

Dedication speaks for itself. At age 50, Coach Sakamoto performed 163 consecutive, full range of motion, handstand pushups.

And he remained in a free balancing handstand for 30 minutes during those HSPU!

• Upvote 4

Coach Sommer

Im pretty sure i read that this was done with wall support. And i think it was less then 160. :D

You would be wrong on both counts.

Free standing on paralletes. Over 160 full HSPU reps. He was in a free handstand the entire time (approx 30 minutes).

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

Biren Patel

Coach, what benefits are there from such a high amount of HSPU's, and do you think that the time required to achieve this goal outweighs the benefits conferred? What level of HSPU endurance do you think is most beneficial to strive for?

Coach Sommer

The benefits of high rep HSPU are enormous. However for most of you this is so far away from your current capabilities that discussing it is more like science fiction than productive training advice.

Let's make the question more basic and consider only HeSPU against the wall; a far easier skill. To my mind if you are unable to perform 30+ reps of wall HeSPU in single set, you are a beginner. Plain and simple.

Just to keep this in perspective, I used to keep Allan company by doing sets of 35rep HeSPU against the wall with him when he was 7 years old. With me teasing and laughing with him the entire time. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 11

Ronnicky Roy

15 handstand push up full rom: https://youtu.be/JRmsDjMujjo

Seeing how this dude scored 15, I don't have trouble believing an elite athlete and coach did 160. I'd just imagine handstands were his specialty and that he did plenty of ring handstand work. Going from unstable exercise to a super stable movement makes a world of difference.

Keilani Gutierrez

The benefits of high rep HSPU are enormous. However for most of you this is so far away from your current capabilities that discussing is more like science fiction than productive training advice.

Just to keep this in perspective, I used to keep Allan company by doing sets of 35rep HeSPU against the wall with him when he was 7 years old. With me teasing and laughing with him the entire time. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

sounds like a great compliment while achieving 10minute Handstand Wallruns. both must feed from each other so well.  Coach, Handstand wallruns and now HeSPU and beyond have been discussed, where would you like us to take our handstands after 2min? not to detract from first things first, only curious as to what goals to have for the future.

Mikkel Ravn

Free standing on paralletes. Over 160 full HSPU reps. He was in a free handstand the entire time (approx 30 minutes).

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Not trying to scorn anyone, but I just love being right.  :D  ;)

• Upvote 6

John Koliopoulos

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Is there video proof for this? Nobody even comes remotely close on youtube etc. 160 is simply insane...

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

Is there video proof for this? Nobody even comes remotely close on youtube etc. 160 is simply insane...

Yeah by all accounts the dude was actually crazy.

He once did a thousand handstand push-ups in a day because he was bored.

He would do a 5-10 second one arm handstand immediately after waking up every morning, and if it wasn't perfect he would do it again and again until it was.

He basically just did a massive rep set of handstand push-ups 4 days a week, on top of other training. Added a rep or two every few months.

Seriously obsessive.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Keilani Gutierrez

hey keilani, PRESS HANDSTAND!!!! :)

Press Handstand upper limits has been discussed  to take up from 5 reps to 10 reps, Coaches athletes he's mentioned were doing 16-18 upto 30 reps. 50 could be an ideal to work upto. but im refering to Freestanding handstand. ;)

Alessandro Mainente

At the end of HBP F4 you will able to perform 25+ hespu in a row...

I did a sort of game with my friend that is a national member, he did 71 hspu in 5 minutes. first time i've tried i did 69, then 4 week after i did 74. No miracles, alignment and correct movement give the minimum forces dispersion.

• Upvote 4

Timothy Aiken

You'll have 5x5r HeSPU not even half way through F3. Alex is referring to 25 HeSPU in a row, meaning a single set. I'd assume the mad gains he's gotten through his HBP training have carried over very well to HeSPU strength and work capacity.

• Upvote 1

Redwan Haque

At the end of HBP F4 you will able to perform 25+ hespu in a row...

I did a sort of game with my friend that is a national member, he did 71 hspu in 5 minutes. first time i've tried i did 69, then 4 week after i did 74. No miracles, alignment and correct movement give the minimum forces dispersion.

Damn! Freestanding? Also, do you get to 'rest' in headstand or is it touch and go only? Have you finished the mastery for HBP?

Alessandro Mainente

I usually do the hespu on the wall in they are a part of warm up, I prefer to vary my warmup, sometime is HBP, sometime Hespu, sometime pressing blended set. The rest position is the handstand position.

No, I have not yet completed the HBP since my goal is 40 kg in the last IM of F4, meanwhile i'm playing with weighted HBP.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

meanwhile i'm playing with weighted HBP.

.... You're what!? o.0

Care to share a video of that? I always get a kick out of watching someone do something inhuman.

Alessandro Mainente

Inhuman is hold an iron cross with your coach attached to the feet...but I'm not Yuri chechi!!

• Upvote 1