Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle-up negative harder than actual muscle-up?

Luzian Scherrer

Luzian Scherrer

I'm able to do a few single slow muscle-ups with short breaks in between. But what I find very difficult is doing the negative when going down in the same slow tempo. It seems to me that a negative muscle-up is harder than the actual muscle-up. This confuses me because I often read things like "when you are not yet capabale of doing a muscle-up, do train the negative first". Especially in relation to the bar muscle-up (which I cannot do yet) I often hear that advice.

What do you think, is the negative really harder or is it probably just a personal issue due to some wrong technic?

GoldenEagle

If all you have worked on is explosive strength while using momentum, controlling the negative will be more difficult at first.

• Upvote 2

Luzian Scherrer

Certainly, but that's not the case for me. With slow muscle-up I mean about 5 seconds through the whole movement. Nothing explosive at all.

GoldenEagle

Certainly, but that's not the case for me. With slow muscle-up I mean about 5 seconds through the whole movement. Nothing explosive at all.

Okay...Just a heads up ten second negatives are fairly common with gymnasts during strength and conditioning portion of their workout.

Mikkel Ravn

From what I hear, and this has also been my experience, there's not a lot of benefit to training muscle-ups, until you can do a decent amount back-to-back. I you are only capable of doing two-three in a row, they're probably going to wear you out instead of making you stronger. Probably better to back off and master rope climb and dip progressions first.

• Upvote 2

Joshua Slocum

Post videos.

Most likely your form is a bit different on the way down than on the way up.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

I have experienced exactly what Ravn is describing. I can do 2 consecutive reps of HeSPU and muscle up (im even close to performing it with an L) but am far from benefitting from it in a training perspective where volume would be driving the adaptations for more complex movements.

also, we're not implying that something is wrong with your training, we'd all love to see everyone here get stronger (and especially, injury free) but we can't have that if the trainee doesnt face facts.

it'd be much more productive to be able to do 5x5 (if trained twice a week, thats 50 every weekly block, thats 200 reps in a month)muscle ups for conditioning with say 2-4 minutes of break inbetween or better, with mobility inbetween than 3x1/4x1( 6-8 reps per week, 24 to 32 reps per month) with the same amount of break and have to discontinue it in a recurring cycle because you try to avoid the onset of overtraining.