Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For those who have achieved a planche, what hardships did you run into when training?

Jeanne Horgan

Jeanne Horgan

I have been doing foundation since last February, and I have run into highs and lows in planche training. 

The highs for me have been knowing I am getting stronger in the position (planche leans) and realizing I can lean farther.

The lows = muscle irritation every so often when I feel as if I am "pushing" myself too far. 

As of lately, I took a break from planche work for about two weeks due to my inside portion of my bicep (near the elbow on the medial side) becoming irritated. Although the only time it becomes irritated is when I RUB on it and then realize "Oh that feels kind of weird". Its as if I am scaring myself into thinking I'm on the verge of some huge injury. 

Has anyone experienced something along the lines of that before?

Christoph Pahl

I irritated my biceps tendon many times otherwise (climbing etc.) and can only advise: Take that serious and find the fix for it ! Good luck.

Joshua Slocum

Some amount of soreness and tenderness around the elbows is to be expected. Keep an eye on it and make sure it's not getting progressively worse. I find that when moving up to a more difficult straight arm exercise, I often will have tender elbows initially, but by the time I've been working on it for a month or two the soreness fades significantly.

• Upvote 2

Connor Davies

I was just messing around the other day and found out I can do straight arm frog stand without any effort or discomfort. It came as a shock to me, because last time I tried to do it it hurt like hell and I could barely even get close to performing it.

I did not push this further to see what other planche skills I had miraculously developed, because I genuinely don't care about planche at all. That being said, other exercises DO crossover with it, and if you think you need a break from direct planche training, don't hesitate.

• Upvote 1

Jeanne Horgan

Some amount of soreness and tenderness around the elbows is to be expected. Keep an eye on it and make sure it's not getting progressively worse. I find that when moving up to a more difficult straight arm exercise, I often will have tender elbows initially, but by the time I've been working on it for a month or two the soreness fades significantly.

Thank you for the insight, my left elbow (which was the one that was irritated) feels pain free as of lately. What I find interesting is that after taking time off of planche work, I'm realizing that planches were not the culprit.

I recently learned how to do front fulls and have been practicing them like crazy. I belive that the "setting motion" and "snapping" the arms down during the jump may have lead to my elbow soreness. 

Last night I did them for about a hour and my RIGHT elbow is feeling slightly sore in the smae spot as my left elbow. So I will go easier on the tumbling and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
Kim Jongseong

The fact that time is limited. It sure requires much effort meaning recovery, dedicated programs etc. so If a trainee achieve a planche in a relatively short time like less than a year, one would be safe in assuming the person neglects other important elements like mobility or other plane of strength. because we need lots of time to recover.

It is a good thing to pursue a certain goal but we should focus on overall ability.

Imagine a person who is capable of doing a perfect planche but can't even do a single handstand press properly like a broken robot. In fact, It's not hard at all to see these kind of people now. but thanks we have GB.

John Kiggundu

I have been doing foundation since last February, and I have run into highs and lows in planche training. 

The highs for me have been knowing I am getting stronger in the position (planche leans) and realizing I can lean farther.

The lows = muscle irritation every so often when I feel as if I am "pushing" myself too far. 

As of lately, I took a break from planche work for about two weeks due to my inside portion of my bicep (near the elbow on the medial side) becoming irritated. Although the only time it becomes irritated is when I RUB on it and then realize "Oh that feels kind of weird". Its as if I am scaring myself into thinking I'm on the verge of some huge injury. 

Has anyone experienced something along the lines of that before?

I had this same problem last year and I bit the bullet and took a 4-month sabbatical from sPL/PE5.  It's a golfer's elbow.

I just resumed training them a week ago.

Be very careful with this injury. Not only does it affect one's planche training, but it can also easily be aggravated during rope climb training.

Now that mine has healed, I'm being extra careful with planche leans, and I'm going to slowly build tendon strength before I attempt to increase the leans.

• Upvote 1