Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HS from half planche or crow

Jackson Yee

Jackson Yee

Hello all:

How do you guys feel about learning HS from these postions instead of "sprint position?"

I"m currentyl dong them from sprint position, but end up falling over too much.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Coach Sommer

I think it is a poor idea and at your level will lead to your having a handstand which is arched in the lower back and piked in the shoulders.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Jackson Yee

Thanks for your response Coach Sommer. I really appreciate it.

Quick followup question - I'm not a gymnast; just your average-joe. My goal is to hold a HS for tens seconds, regardless of the "banana arched. Is this method still a bad idea for somebody like me? Thanks again!

Biren Patel

...I'm not a gymnast; just your average-joe. My goal is to hold a HS for tens seconds, regardless of the "banana arched. Is this method still a bad idea for somebody like me?...

You are asking on a gymnastics forum if it is ok to have a poor handstand? You are asking a world-class coach if it is ok to be mediocre? I think you have the answer ;)

• Upvote 3

Piotr Ochocki

If you want "some" HS to show off at parties, etc, then well, do whatever you want to achieve it. If you actually want HS - then 10sec is not a target for someone who really wants HS :). Target should be efficient HS and this means good HS line (so allowing you to hold it for way longer, also looking better) with all goodies that come with it.

At the end all depends on what you are looking for.

Jackson Yee

Thank you all for you tips and help. I appreciate your comments. This may be the wrong site for me to ask HS questions as I am in my mid 50's and just want to accomblish a HS as it was something that has eluded me for years. I just recently started up yoga and my classes always have HS work. I''ll seek their advice and not the wisdom from serious gymnist like you all who I seem to have offend with my naive question. My apologies.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Jack

Andrew Long

I wanted to help but I don't know what you mean by getting into handstand from a crow or half planche as opposed to a sprint position. Im

Jackson Yee

Hello  Ausswe! thanks for reaching out to me!

A "sprint" position is when I kick my back leg up. A crow is when I get into tripod and lift my legs straight up. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again for your kind respone.

J

Biren Patel

Hey, Jackson, I mean no offense, I tried to put that smiley face there to lighten the mood hah.

There are some people on this forum older than you who have been able to achieve 30 seconds+ HS and more with great technique. There's one user here, FritsMB, I believe at some point he was even working iron cross so I think you are selling yourself short. Mats Trane, our moderator here, I think he is also in his 40's or 50's and his presses and line are amazing.

Now you should read this section a few times over: No matter whether you try to learn handstand with a sprint position, or crow, or half planche, or whatever other entry you can think of, it will take you thousands upon thousands of repetitions practicing the entry to be able to achieve even a semblance of consistency and balance. That is not an exaggeration - literally thousands. This is a fundamental law of hand balancing that you cannot escape, so at the risk of once again sounding rude...you either learn to deal with this fact or I guarantee you will quit long before your 10 second goal.

• Upvote 1

Andrew Long

Could you elaborate more about what exactly you want and what you can do/ how you are training for it at the moment?

Are you just trying to kick up to handstand and falling over?

Have you tried a Hs against the wall?

Do you realise to go into handstand from crow position would require supremely greater shoulder strength where as kicking up requires mostly control and balance.

Andrew Long

I'm probably not best person to give advice but strengthening your hands/wrists and your traps will help considerably imo. Also if your main issue is the fact that you keep falling over well the problem seems to be your balance not the way you get into the position so just keep trying and slowing down the movement as much as possible.

Keeping elbows locked helps as well I've found as well as strong contraction in the abdominal a and point the toes and bringing feet together as tight as you can so none of your body is wobbling around.

Honestly though if you want to get better at handstands regardless of whether you want a perfect one or not then then h1 will get you there quicker. If it isn't important enough to you to fork out that much cash then browse the balance forums some more. There is a ridiculous amount of good enough on here especially by people like "handbalancer" and yuri.

Jackson Yee
Micawberian - Great advice for the HS and in life!

You are right. I am selling myself short. That is never a good thing.

Thanks for the wake up call!

Jackson Yee
ausswe - Great advice.  Much thanks.

I currently have been working vs wall. I can hold it for about 5 sec consistently. My new gym has mats, so I am transfering now without the help of the wall. So far, it has very inconsistent. I fall back a lot, but every once in while I hit a good one. I just have to keep up with it.

In my yoga class, the instructor wanted to me work on my crow and then into a HS. She said that's how she learned to be more consistent. Don't know much about the crow and just wanted a second opinion from you all.

the best advice you gave me is slowing it down.

I do have H1. However, I never followed the progressions because I wrongly thought that program was for serious gymnist. I will take some time this weekend and revist the program.

Thanks again for taking the time and helping me out.

Appreciate it like you don't know.

Jack

Kevin Conley

Please don't be offended since it is the internet, so context is far too often lacking in questions. 

Also, crow pose is in the foundation series. I always look stellar when we do it when going to my yoga classes~. Something I have noticed about yoga is the poor quality of most of the handstands. My wife is a yoga instructor, and we have talked about how too often, less experienced yoga instructors will give advise on skills/poses that they cannot adequately do themselves. The handstand is likely the one I have seen the most advise given, without them being able to properly perform it. Not commenting of the instructor who gave the advise of pressing into handstand from crow pose though, since I do not know them.

As for the H1 program: I was able to do a good handstand (in line) for 2 minutes before even buying H1. Yet, now after getting through not even half of the program, my handstand is so much more solid and 2nd nature than I believed it would be, even if given 5 more years. We all have plenty to work with, so make your personal goals and chip at them week after week, month after month.

• Upvote 1

Jackson Yee
Prometheus - fantastic advice! Much thanks, respect and appreication for your thoughts.

Again, very grateful for you taking the time and helping me out. Wow, I would have wasted so much time on my HS before this thread.

Have a great day!

J

• Upvote 1