Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is bodybuilding and fitness bad for your mind?

battman

So in the western world, things like bodies how women should look, when we open a magazine you see models with fat% on 6. Everybody in reality is working out, and have a perfect body, this has a really bad impact on some young people, who gets anorexia og what else all those deceases is named.

Then i was wondering, before i started training GST, i was into bodybuilding, and really wanted to get big and was always thinking on my meals, and if i skipped on and didnt get my calories, then i felt bad about myself. But then i found GST, where i " just " had eat healthy get my veggies and proteins and work hard. Ofcourse i still have a dream body, but its not as big or stressful like before. 

Do you guys think, that this is one of the benefits from GST, that you dont get the same kind of stress about meals and nutritions like in BB and fitness?

( no hard feelings against BB, not everybody is like i described above, and sorry for bad english )

Jesus Rojas

The real benefit of GST is that over time you will become a well rounded athlete, I mean an athlete with mobility, flexibility, strength, bulletproof wrist and shoulders, balance, coordination, etc... and also an amazing looking body, instead of just aesthetics like in BB. 

• Upvote 3

Luka Kopusar

+1 

I also had this "war" in head, what if i spend some time in gym, just a little bulk but know, all i want is strength. And to use my body without any unnecessary weight. That's why i like GST and especially mobility ^^

edit:

and yes, today's industry is too hard on everything. Be bigger, stronger, take a lot of supplements...It's a big pressure, especially on teens but also on older people never the less. 

Briac Roquet

It's a matter of community, if you had found a reasonable bodybuilding community, people would also tell you to just eat your veggies, protein and to work hard.

I'm sure you could find GST communities that are just as bad, but we're reasonably sensible around here.  :)

• Upvote 3

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Keep in mind that the people that you see in the magazines diet down just to take one photo shoot, they don't look like that year round, while athletes (like gymnasts) bf % is usually stable throughout the whole year (correct me if I'm wrong).

What Bro' says is really true: I found that the community that GB has add a lot of value to the already really good program!

Fun fact: I switched from weight training to GST 6 months ago I still track my macros everyday.. I had so good results in the past that I just can't give that up! I'm also very used to it, I've been doing it for 2 years.. I guess it's one of those "don't try to fix it if it ain't broke" cases :)

Toni Laukkavaara

If you want to be the best athlete you can be you STILL have to get those macros in

Alexander Egebak

I have found that consistently just doing what I do ignoring what other people might think of that, there is an automatic long-term response to that: you learn not take without making an effort to do so, it becomes natural. Whether that is because not caring is becoming a habit or because your are fighting your ego... The result is still the same - you can concentrate on what YOU want instead of what others want and what they think. That attitude produces results and turns you into something that you can be proud of.

My point is that GST is not unique. It is the people as stated in above comments which makes out the discipline. Although it is true that the art of body building usually has a certain attraction and is generally easier to get into.

• 4 weeks later...

Lifting weight really messed with me and have given my a whole load of problems just at 19. My life revolved around fitness and it took over my life. My shoulders were messed up, lack of mobility and i had crippling insecurities and the social skills of a sloth. I got into bodyweight stuff because as a theatre major I needed better on stage body presence and the ability to move around and do more than just look muscular. Great thing about GST; it is a supplement to your life, not something you need to base your life around, unlike most other workouts out there that make you train so hard that you need to rehash your entire life. 

Travis Widmann

I think what is bad for your mind is not the thing itself, but one's relationship to it. If all you think about while training and eating is how big and cut and awesome you're going to be, you lose track of the present moment. It becomes an unhealthy fixation. Doesn't matter if it's bodybuilding or GST. Thankfully around here we tend to reenforce a healthy mindset in each other. Give complete focus to your training while you're training. Don't be distracted. Sure, we have goals, but whatever step on the path we happen to be on is the most important step for us at that point in time. Also, do all the work, not just the work you like. Lastly, never do more work than is necessary, because doing so is counterproductive. Do the work and when you're done, do something else. It's a very simple and zen sort of wisdom that goes far beyond just GST.

Connor Davies

My life revolved around fitness and it took over my life. My shoulders were messed up, lack of mobility and i had crippling insecurities and the social skills of a sloth.

Your life revolved around exercise. If you really cared about fitness you would have been doing the sort of things that kept you actually healthy.

Biren Patel

My shoulders were messed up, lack of mobility and i had crippling insecurities and the social skills of a sloth.

I really have to disagree with this comment. My pet sloth is a social butterfly, thank you very much.

• Upvote 1