Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The difference between Bodybuilding and Gymnastic

battman

I know that resistance is resistance, so weightlifting and gymnastics has this in common. I have a friend who train bb 5 times a week, and is in really good shape. So lets say that i eat healthy, train 4-5 times a week with gymnastics. Could i then get a bigger body ?

The thing i really want to hear, is that what is the main difference between Weightlifting and gymnastic, when we talk about training for size and not strength and mobility. Would it take longer time to achieve a bigger physique like Gregor Sadiska or Jake Dalton, with gymnastics than with weight lifting? If yes, then why?

Theres really no way to tell if you'll be bigger than your friend. This would just come down to diet and genetics.

Generally, weightlifting is preferred over gymnastics for hyperthrophy. And if you're not interested in strength and mobility, then I'd suggest you to go ahead with weightlifting :)

No guys i like doing gymnastics and i train for strength that i can use i my everyday life and for size to, and i dont like the bb style of eating escepcially.

My question was more to hear the differences, not to building up bb style body, if i should build my body, would it be to look like Andreas wecker, and to achieve that is doing gymnastics and est Healthy.

Vincent Stoyas

You can have a pretty good physique from just bodyweight, but don't expect huge Olympic biceps and such until you you're working advanced ring work.

Bryan Wheelock

You don't include your current height and weight. 

All things being equal, it's easier for a shorter person to look muscular.

10 lbs of muscles on a 5ft 6in person would be much more noticeable than on a 6ft tall person.

My arms are about 17in in circumference, they look normal in proportion to my body.

On a smaller frame, 17 inch arms would be HUGE.

The body can't tell a difference if the workload comes from GST or dumbbells. 

I'd like to share some perspective. 

Yes, you can achieve a great physique from gymnastics training alone. Like others have pointed out, it may take longer. But trying to achieve a physique through bodybuilding style isolation exercises is adding a whole lot of dead weight that in no way increases your athletic ability. Through Gymnastic Strength Training™, the physique you achieve will be a mere by product, and the main focus will be increased awareness of your body and a stronger frame (better connective tissue strength) to build on. 

To clarify, I am not referring to weightlifting, which generally refers to Olympic weightlifting (Snatch and Clean&Jerk). Olympic lifting is an incrediblly athletic sport that involves tremendous mental and physical fortitude. Like gymnastics, it needs to be done right, otherwise the risk of injury is very high. Bodybuilding (these days) on the other hand, involves no athleticism. 

I think you mentioned that you like GST, so stick with it, and the physique will follow. If you want, you coud complement your GST with some hypertrophy specific work, but to me, that again beats the purpose of GST. 

In other words, bodybuilding is like taking a quick shortcut to achieving a good physique at the expense of athletic performance, but training for sports like gymnastics or weightlifting (or literally any other sport that you actually enjoy) willl ensure that a good physique is just the cherry on top of the sundae that is your athletic body.   :)

• Upvote 1

I dont like bodybuilding, and the thing that really gets me is the eating, i mean i could not enjoy my life if i should Worry about the meals all the time. But how can it be that bodybuilders keep talking about how important your surplus is, when gymnastics only talks about getting your protein and keep a Healthy diet, and not the surplus. Yet gymnast have a great and lean body still. :)?

One thing to note is that most gymnasts are relatively short. So even though they look huge, they weigh around 150-160 lbs. In contrast, bodybuilders commonly weigh upwards of 200 lbs. I think the more muscle you want to add, the more the caloric surplus comes into play. Gymnasts also get a caloric surplus just through regular eating. Taller gymnasts tend to look less muscular, even though they likely weigh more than their shorter counterparts, like what bigB said above.

Yeah you Got a point there, but lets take a dude, like Gregor sadiksa who used to post in here, he were in good shape and really strong. He used to train 3-5 hours a Day, there is no Way he could get in a surplus, with the diet i posted at that time. But he ate Healthy and got his proteins. Isnt this the most important to get strong from GST, and build a Nice physique.

I'm not huge by any means but I'm not small either and I've noticed foundation especially the first 2 of the series have really bulked me up. Very noticeably in the arms and shoulders.

I've been doing foundation for about a year with a short couple month break in there somewhere and I'm much more muscular. If I had been more strict last year instead of letting life interfere in sure id be bigger and stronger.

The other thing is I can do moves that other people are baffled by and I am still a complete noob at gst. My whole body feels stronger lighter and more agile and Mobile.

Joshua Slocum

You don't include your current height and weight. 

All things being equal, it's easier for a shorter person to look muscular.

10 lbs of muscles on a 5ft 6in person would be much more noticeable than on a 6ft tall person.

My arms are about 17in in circumference, they look normal in proportion to my body.

On a smaller frame, 17 inch arms would be HUGE.

A taller person certainly needs more calories. I don't know that a taller person needs to work more to achieve the same relative gain in size, though. A taller person will have proportionally larger muscles, and so when those muscles increase in size, the taller person will gain more overall mass than the shorter person. 

Ivan Pavlovic
The thing i really want to hear, is that what is the main difference between Weightlifting and gymnastic, when we talk about training for size and not strength and mobility. Would it take longer time to achieve a bigger physique like Gregor Sadiska or Jake Dalton, with gymnastics than with weight lifting? If yes, then why?

Bodybuilding works better on muscle hypertrophy then gymnastics so you will get big faster with bodybuilding.

I thought the growth had more to do with sets/reps/time under tension and food. So technically if that is true then body weight could work just as well as weights couldn't it?

Marios Roussos

It's hard to really know just how much more effective bodybuilding routines are given how common performing enhancing agents are in the bodybuilding world (including "natural" bodybuilders). 

One thing that may easily support the idea that one would get bigger more quickly by following a bodybuilding routine is that the Foundation program, if followed strictly, will have you working muscular endurance and mobility for a long time if these elements are lacking in your physical development. Most untrained people will get some size gains from this, but people with a strength training background may get smaller and become discouraged before they get to the "good stuff". 

The choice comes down to one's goals in the end. The Foundation approach seems to appeal to those who want to slowly rebuild their body, working on their mobility and postural issues while slowly building connective tissue and muscular strength in the hopes that all the hard slow work will pay off in the future. The bodybuilding approach would probably appeal to those who want to get big as fast as possible without worrying about any of the other stuff or the risk of injury.  

• Upvote 1

I weight 72 kg and are about 183 cm. But i believe in the way GST does it, and that its important to eat healthy and get proteins. The bodybuilding type of way, where it is so important to get the surplus, is to stressful and i dont believe in it.

Is the surplus really that important ? if you work hard and eat healthy and get your protein.

I believe you need some surplus but it doesn't have to be crazy high from what I understanding. genetics can change that though. I was eating at a slight deficient but I gained muscle while losing fat.

I was eating anywhere from 0 to -400 calories a day. With one day every 7 or more days I would go a bit higher because I wanted a treat :P

Bryan Wheelock

I should have mentioned, I've had quit a bit of shoulder girdle muscular growth since I began GST.

That's significant because I've had 25 years of weight training under my belt. 
GST is a different type of stimulus.

• Upvote 1