Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What happened to Gregor?

bobthepi

Gregor is doing well, but inactive on the forum.  Several years ago, just when he had begun representing Slovenia at World Cup events, he had a very serious injury due to insufficient mobility training and lost his enthusiasm for training and giving training advice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

That's so sad :( He had amazing ring strength.

Sad, absolutely.  But also inevitable due to the poor balance between his high degree of strength work and his low degree of mobility work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Connor Davies

Sad, absolutely. But also inevitable due to the poor balance between his high degree of strength work and his low degree of mobility work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Well there's a wake up call if I ever saw one.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
Jesus Rojas

Gregor is doing well, but inactive on the forum.  Several years ago, just when he had begun representing Slovenia at World Cup events, he had a very serious injury due to insufficient mobility training and lost his enthusiasm for training and giving training advice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach, I have a question. What injury it was and what kind of mobility deficiencies ?

Coach Sommer

Extremely tight biceps, pec, shoulders and lats.   These imbalances were very obvious during the swinging portions of his routine.  Really a shame.  Gregor is a great young man and had worked very hard to finally have the opportunity to represent Slovenia internationally.

Mobility isn't something that is a nice, frivilous extra.  It should be a central mainstay of your training.  In fact I will go so far as to say that if you don't make it a mainstay of your training, you may very well reach the point where you are unable to train.  Especially if you are successful in building high degrees of strength.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 17

Jesus Rojas

Extremely tight biceps, pec, shoulders and lats.   These imbalances were very obvious during the swinging portions of his routine.  Really a shame.  Gregor is a great young man and had worked very hard to finally have the opportunity to represent Slovenia internationally.

Mobility isn't something that is a nice, frivilous extra.  It should be a central mainstay of your training.  In fact I will go so far as to say that if you don't make it a mainstay of your training, you may very well reach the point where you are unable to train.  Especially if you are successful in building high degrees of strength.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Yes, mobility is underrated, and most beginners look at it as something "boring" or "annoying". I really like to know stories like this one because that helps you to prevent something like that.

Dylan Robertson

Did he not follow the Ring Mobility Warm-Up (R1>im1-7) and R1>im8 between sets?

Coach Sommer

Did he not follow the Ring Mobility Warm-Up (R1>im1-7) and R1>im8 between sets?

No.  

Gregor's coach designed his training.  I only provided a small bit of advice now and then when requested.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Sailor Venus

Yes, mobility is underrated

Too right. That problem is everywhere. Most people don't stretch enough or neglect them.