Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Straddle L / Manna Difficulty

Nidhish S

It seems to me that a Straddle L and Manna unlike most of the other strength holds which are based around the shoulders, relate to the hips. For example, a dead hang, inverted hang, support and handstand are the shoulders moving through the "y axis", l sit, planche and levers on the x, and crosses on the z.

From what I can tell a Straddle L is when one pushes the hips back, and a Manna is when one pushes the hips forward. This is comparable to the planche and front lever which move the hips backwards and forwards respectively. Since the leverage on a planche makes it harder than a front lever due to that posterior motion diffusing the weight, does that mean that a high Straddle L is harder than a high Manna??

Christoph Pahl

The answer depends certainly on the exact height of the compared straddle L and Manna. I do not understand the details you discuss, how do you choose x-, y- and z-axis? Why is the leverage of a planche different from a front lever? In first approximation they are related by mirror symmetry and so have identical leverage.

Clearly leverage is by far not everything that contributes to difficulty: A perfect high manna is identical in leverage to a handstand, but *way* harder.

Connor Davies

Does that mean that a high Straddle L is harder than a high Manna??

Not even a little bit. With a straddle L your hands are in front of the body, whereas in a manna the hands are behind you. Manna is very much harder than straddle L because of the demands on the shoulders.

• Upvote 1

Christoph Pahl