Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So about my handstand...

Alex Pap

Hey all again

How is everybody doing?

I would like a very honest critique on my handstand form. My goal is to eliminate this annoying and ugly arch on my back.It is literally driving me crazy.

So here is my question

What is that i am lacking of? Is it shoulder flexibility? 

For my shoulder flexibility i use the cat stretch for 60s x 3 sets

I do shoulder dislocates using a broomstick

and wall-handstands 3 sets of 1 minute each.

So regardiing my shoulder flexibility Do you have any other drill which helped you?

Except shoulder flexibility is there any other factor my back archs? 

Looking forward for your replies

Thanks in advance.

post-17728-0-00360000-1423138858_thumb.p

Looks like you have too little shoulder extension. Sometimes this can feel like you are leaning "against" the shoulder. What you probably should be feeling and mastering is the feeling of being completely on top of the shoulders. At first, this will likely feel like you are overbalancing, and not like a safe position at all. So your problem may be both immobility and/or proprioception.

Eddie Stelling

Posterior Pelvic Tilt (PPT) is non existent. You need to learn to correctly tuck your pelvis with an open shoulder. Although you need a little work on shoulder flexibility, I have seen worse. The H1 course covers all of this. Coach has also been addressing this 10-fold in the Daily Challenges posted on Facebook. Follow the challenges and do the exercises from the 1st (3) GST challenges over and over again. Then go through all the exercises from the January HS Challenge.

GST Challenge (February):

www.facebook.com/groups/330260893844590

New Year HS Challenge (January):

www.facebook.com/events/397848713704708/

You tube link to all challenge videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/GymnasticBodies/videos

Once you have a PPT, go into a belly to wall HS, shoulders protracted (ribs in), hands as far away from the wall that allows you to maintain PPT. Now go back and fourth between arching and tucking your pelvis. It's very hard to correct your shoulder position if you aren't getting the PPT down. (to balance the shoulders have to close if you are arching, shoulders have to open to tuck your pelvis)

If we use the picture you posted as an example, imagine what your body would have to do to flatten your back without moving your feet, your hands, or your shoulders.....and Ravn noted...when you finally get the shoulders open with the flat back, it feels hard to balance, as if your shoulders are flexed past 180.

• Upvote 3

So after watching and lurking at the forums for information on ppt i tried new drills today
this was the result
what do you guys think?

the left one was from yesterday and right was from today

post-17728-0-43627200-1423223799_thumb.j

Edited by Alex Pap
  • Upvote 1

Eddie Stelling

Much better! You still have work to do, but wayyyy better. You need to look at your hands....don't pull your head out in front of your hands, but keep it in a neutral position, just forward enough that you can see your thumbs. I would be impressed if you could hold that handstand for time staring behind you like that as a beginner.

Focus on trying to flatten your back even more by pulling the rib cage and chest in and pushing the shoulders more open and protracting. If that is as open as you can get your shoulders, you need to work on shoulder flexibility to achieve this. This is where you are are going to start feeling like you are in an unbalanced position, weight on the center and heel of your palm. Start paying attention to where your feet are and try to balance only using the hands.

Follow the challenges. People who are serious about improving that aren't following the challenges and taking advantage of the huge amount of info being handed out for free are crazy. Do you have H1 yet? If not you need to get it.

Thank you very much eddie. another question

i see a lot of about open your shoulders
what does that mean? how do i achieve that? can you please explain me

Alessandro Mainente

A  sensible lack of shoulder flexion still remains, you need appropriate mobility. H1 is for you.

Alexander Egebak

Opening your shoulders is making them more flexible. Good exercises are dislocate variations and deadhang variations. H1 has it all programmed for you though