Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old broken arm weak elbow tendon?

ishocker

Ok im still fairly new to this calisthenics/gymnastics lifestyle and I want to make sure I don't mess myself up so it anyone could assist me I would really appreciate it

I broke my 2 left arm bones (ulna&radius) twice right in the middle of the arm when I was in middle school (Im 23 now) second time the bone came out and had minor surgery but no plates or screws though, but now im training for a planche but I feel my left arm is slight weaker especially around the back elbow right under the triceps muscle but right above the actual elbow joint I don't know it that's a muscle or tendon sorry, but when I try some poses like crow stand I feel that left elbow area barely has muscle but I feel a nice tight muscle or tendon on my right elbow (I feel it with my knees when I get in that stance) but when I do straight arm planche holds with my feet elevated on something I don't feel stress or feel like it's gunna snap but I guess i am afraid or siking myself out in my mind that my elbow is gonna snap backwards since I feel there's not to much strength there, I never feel pain or any of that sort from the crow stance as well and I don't want to In the future either. Im just thinking since I broke it twice and like a month apart from each other im afraid the muscles got reattach differently? If that's even possible

So I guess my question is, will I be able to ever do a straight locked out arm planche or is that out the window due to my old injury? If not what exercise could I do to strengthen that one area/muscle?

and also both elbows pop when I extend them out must of the time but never pain, is this normal?

• 7 months later...
Matthew Jefferys

You need to do a lot of elbow rehabilitation and strengthen those elbow flexors. If it hurts, don't do it. That doesn't mean you'll never achieve the planche, it just means you need to focus on that elbow for a while before you start straight-arm work. Going to a sports therapist will help, and identifying the problem makes fixing it a lot easier. I would focus on getting that elbow working properly long before anything as elbow strenuous as planche work.

To the best of my knowledge a break in the middle of the arm wouldn't lead to anything on the other side of the elbow being reattached, unless somehow you tore a tendon as well. Your surgeon would have record of whatever was done and your therapist should be able to get access to see.

You do need to cater to the previously injured arm for a while to get it back up to par. In the course of doing GST work that will generally mean, keeping the intensity low, and favouring your weak side, in other words putting more weight to that side so the strong side doesn't carry you.

It's quite normal to unconsciously favour the strong side and this subtle switch can make all the difference while forcing you to work well within your limits.

• Upvote 1

Matthew Jefferys

To the best of my knowledge a break in the middle of the arm wouldn't lead to anything on the other side of the elbow being reattached, unless somehow you tore a tendon as well. Your surgeon would have record of whatever was done and your therapist should be able to get access to see.

Often times the patient will just get a radiograph, and so a lot of minor connective tissue damage goes unnoticed. While it is unlikely that there is significant damage there, scar tissue could be hanging around and causing pain.