Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Combining F1 and X-country skiing

Alex  Spott

Hello!

Is there any x-country skiiers around here? If yes, how do you  go about combining skill work, weight/endurance training and such with gymnastic ?   Is it really possible to combine and beneficial for endurance athlete?

There's a guy on the forum, MT Nordic, who's a skier, and has written some interesting posts about endurance vs. strength. Try searching his posts, and send him a PM.

• Upvote 1

Douglas Wadle

Hi guys,  just heading to work this morning, but will get you a thorough answer this evening.  My favorite topic!

Douglas Wadle

Hey Alex, I've been doing GST for almost 2 years now as my main strength training work.  In the summers i run, mostly 30k-50 mile distances, and in the winters I cross country ski race.  The great thing about XC skiing is the need for strength, mobility, power, and endurance, and of both the upper and lower body.  It is the ultimate workout and i believe just about the only one that combines all those features.  I was initially a little dubious as to the carryover to other sports, but with some minor adjustments i will tell you about i think GST is a great program for our sport.  First, for the off season it serves to greatly even out the asymmetries from more specialized training during the season.  I think it's greatest strength is for this purpose.  I train GST 3-4 days per week most of the year, and then during competition season cut back to just 2 days per week and mix in some more specific training.  The things I've found most helpful are improved posterior pelvic tilt, improved back strength for repetitive hinging, improved poling strength, and less prone to overuse injury of my elbows and wrists from long double poling sessions.  So i would strongly encourage it as general strength training during the off season and pre comp period.

During pre comp period i start adding in more plyometrics and power moves.  I do a day a week of very simple power lifting (mostly cleans, i don't think the jerks and snatches have much carryover and substantially increase risk of injury and need for really good technique); jump squats, kettlebell swings, and some deadlifting.  I have completed the SLS/FLS progressions, so i continue adding weight on the last progression there as well.  I continue 2 days per week of Foundation and HS which serves to maintain and slightly improve over this period.  I at least don't lose ground.  I add in more double poling specific strength as well, such as cable pull downs and bungy pulls and weighted dips.  

Finally during the competition period I continue 2 days per week GST (usually monday and tuesday to have as little fatigue as possible come the weekend races).  I continue some leg/plyo work on one of those days, but less intense.  Obviously the skiing is a large volume of my total work during pre-comp and comp periods of training.  During the summer my strength work is probably 1/3-1/2 of my total hours, and during the winter is in only 15-20 percent.  Watch your recovery, but for me GST at this level works in nicely and doesn't hurt my recovery.  I do mobility (the iM's plus other stuff) most evenings before bed to keep the distance stuff from tightening me up too much, although with skiing this is much less an issue than with running.  

Lastly, i think GST has given me better body awareness and more efficient technique.  The posterior pelvic tilt work helps bring your hips more over the ski, especially important in classic skiing.  the improved ankle mobility helps also get the weight more forward, especially skating V1 up hills.  the jeff curls and ABH have removed any low back issues from long classic ski outings.  and my shoulders and elbows are healthier through the season.  There is no doubt that endurance training is somewhat catabolic, so it is important to have some anabolic activity to counterbalance that.  

If you have other questions, feel free to ask, and hope that info is helpful.  Cheers, and hope your snow is good this year!

• Upvote 6

David Beckerman

Hi MT Nordic,

When you say you cut back to 2 days of GST a week is that equivalent to twice weekly F7 or once a week F7 in two workouts please?

Cheers,

DB

Douglas Wadle

During the competition phase it is the equivalent of F7, (2 partial days, but with leg/power work both days).  it's enough to maintain, and more importantly not lose, strength during the highly catabolic period.  This is less than  3 months of the year, late december through early march.  Surprisingly, I have found that even though my goal is maintenance, i do progress in almost all exercises during this time period, just not as fast as i usually would.