Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to move further on

Alex Pap

Hello guys 

So here is my problem. I don't know what to do to progress further in terms of my handstands.I am to the point where i have a solid 40-50 sec freestanding handstand and can press to handstand.(tucked)

But i don't know what my next goal should be.

Am i ready to go for straddle press to handstand? And if so where do i start? Do you have any drills or progressions i should follow? 

Thanks in advance! :D

Joshua Slocum

First, congrats! 

How does your handstand line look? If it's not perfect, you should fix that before advancing much more. 

The handstand courses are an excellent source of programming, both for improving your handstand and for learning the press :)

• Upvote 1

Hey joshua

my handstand line is straight. The things is a lot of the progressios in the handstand courses require access to equipment but i have just the wall and the floor of my room. 

Do you have any suggestion for me? Any drill?

One's handstand line is never straight enough.

H1 has very minimal equipment requirements. What is it that you are lacking?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

It seems you're asking us for what your goal should be. Usually achieving goals work better, if you pick them yourself :)

Have you ever tried a straddle press negative?

How about walking?

Mexican handstand?

Just to second what Coach said: the line can always be improved further :)

Hey coach.

I dont know what i am lacking but i do know this

When im in position to attempt a straddle press to handstand i am unable to push even for the slightest amount.

Micawberian of course i read the comments from my previous thread and i progressed so much thanks to them.

Hey joshua

my handstand line is straight. The things is a lot of the progressios in the handstand courses require access to equipment but i have just the wall and the floor of my room. 

Do you have any suggestion for me? Any drill?

The video you posted in the last thread you started proves your line isn't straight.

Regarding drills, see Handstand one and or the recent handstand challenge.

I, personally, do my handstand training and some of my foundation training on carpet.

Carpet is helping me find a little things within my body line that help make my handstand more steady, despite the innate instability of the surface. One such finding was flexing my triceps and keeping my head in the same position.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
Connor Davies

I dont know what i am lacking but i do know this

When im in position to attempt a straddle press to handstand i am unable to push even for the slightest amount.

The sensible thing to do then would be to work the tuck press handstand for reps, while you simultaneously address hip mobility and shoulder strength. Most people can't press to handstand because they can't stack their joints properly. This is usually due to a lack of flexibility, although sometimes they're simply lacking kinaesthetic awareness. If you can't pancake chest-to-floor, you have some work to be doing my friend.

If you haven't heard already, handstand wall walks are an exceptional way to build strength for the press handstand. I also recommend freestanding handstand push-ups, both for strength development and because done with a good body line they will improve your balance and handstand form.

Oh and also if you're having difficulty pressing from the floor, why not elevate your feet and work with a reduced ROM for a while?

• Upvote 3

How about your next goal being bowers? I always get Erbs and bowers confused but I'm pretty sure te bower is the straight arm version. Correct me if I'm wrong.

How about your next goal being bowers? I always get Erbs and bowers confused but I'm pretty sure te bower is the straight arm version. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong.   ;)

Bowers are a hollow back press.  Erbs are a planche pushup that finish with a planche press to handstand.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer