Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Exactly how gymnasts train

gymrob

I was wondering how exactly do beginner/ intermediate and more advanced gymnasts train. By this I mean how much of an emphasis is on different types of training such as:

Max strength

Plyometrics

Isometric hols

Endurance

Routines

I know that this will most probably vary a lot, but would like a rough idea. Like how often each of these are trained each week.

Thanks

Well everyday we started off with a brief warm up jog, then stretched, after that would would do basic conditioning, push ups, dips, pull ups, handstand holds, handstand push ups, straddle pike press to handstand. We would then throw down some heavy core, hollow holds, v-ups, full extension sit ups, and more push ups. Then within routines we would usually switch off some people would do strength stuff along with the static moves like cross pullouts and such on the rings as the other group works routines with the coach. We did 2 events everyday, each 1 hour and 30 minutes long. Our coach wanted us to be able to at least finish 5 routines on each event, so really we would work strength along with Iso holds sometimes everyday, but we did not have the same event 2 days in a row.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
williamprowse

lets see, today i coached gymnastics for an hour than i had class

we stretched after a brief warm up

we did core excercises and dynamic stretching

then we did basic gymnastics

then i had to do pommel horse and floor today, a little bit of parrell bars

then i stretched, did some rollers for my fore arms and thats it