Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to build a gymnast shaped body??

Egyptian Viper

Egyptian Viper

How do i build a gymnast shaped body using body weight only ?? how much reps ... all that

George Launchbury

Hi, and welcome to the site.

How do i build a gymnast shaped body using body weight only ?? how much reps ... all that

As per Coach Sommer's signature: To Look & Perform Like a Gymnast, You Must Train Like a Gymnast. FORM ALWAYS FOLLOWS FUNCTION.

You should read or search through the excellent and helpful information throughout the forum, including some great 'essays' by Coach Sommer and others, and the articles on the main site. This will help answer your question in detail, and should cover pretty much everything you need to know to plan and execute a basic programme. You can even try someone else's programme on for size and see how it goes.

If you have any more specific questions on fine-tuning your programme after you've designed one, or things that you don't understand completely, you'll likely get some more specific answers.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

George.

Egyptian Viper

ok .. but i cant start with these hard techniques ... i must start from the begining coz my body is weak .. besides i am 19 years old ...

anyway .. do gymnast lift weight??

George Launchbury
ok .. but i cant start with these hard techniques ... i must start from the begining coz my body is weak .. besides i am 19 years old ...

anyway .. do gymnast lift weight??

Before starting the progressions outlined in the articles, it has been mentioned in the past that beginners should work towards:

> 10 pull-ups

> 10 deep push-ups (on paralettes, or similar).

> 10 Hanging Leg raises

Pull-ups would be 10 controlled/strict repetitions (no cheating with the legs or swinging) with chin above bar. Paralettes are like small (portable) parallel bars, so you can get slightly below the level of your hands, as meant by deep. Again, strict form and no cheating. There is an article on leg raises (click here) and to start off, going up to 90 degrees should be enough?

I would also consider doing some wall handstand work (click here) and do some squats/lunges etc for your legs.

Maybe start off with Mon, Wed, Fri and see if you're recovering enough between sessions. Don't do more than 1 hour including warm-up and cool down. Make sure you're eating right (see that section for advice), and sleeping enough. Don't train through injuries. Do some basic stretching, and pre-hab for joint mobility/strength (wrists, shoulders, etc. search around for those posts).

Regards,

George.

Guest Free Man

Thank you for your guidelines, George! I'm in a situation like Egyptian, I'm also a weak 19 years old guy and never do gymnastics before.

George Launchbury

You're welcome! :)

I'm pretty new to gymnastic conditioning myself, and have learned a lot here already, although I did have a pretty good knowledge of fitness training and nutrition on a personal level to begin with.

One of the worst things you can do is be paralysed by perfection ...by which I mean sit around planning the "perfect workout" and do no actual training!

Put together (or copy) a basic workout routine, start doing it, and even post in workout logs to keep you motivated. Any issues, problems, confusion you have from what you are doing ...ask some questions. This forum is for people of all abilities and fitness levels.

Regards,

George.

"One of the worst things you can do is be paralysed by perfection ...by which I mean sit around planning the "perfect workout" and do no actual training!" -George

This is a point that I feel can't be stressed enough. Constantly friends are coming up to me after they see me tricking in the park or at the beach and ask me to help them get in shape. And then once I outline a routine and some dietary guidelines they dont follow them, or decide they want to deviate from the routine with their own ideas, fail, and stop training. Dreams are great and all, but simply being an idealist gets you nowhere fast.