Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Parallel bars - Scaffolding question

Gavin Strelitz

Gavin Strelitz

Hi all,

I have decided to go with scaffolding for my parallel bars. I had a guy come out and measure everything up for me and it looks good. I have a couple of questions.

1. I am going to use floor to ceiling compression tubes which run vertically, then I will use two horizontal tubes as the parallel bars. Will the vertical bars get in my way when I want to do Planche Dips? In the video for HBP/PE 21 the athlete uses the end of the parallel bars. If I have vertical bars at the corners will this work? 

2. What length parallel bars would you suggest. I am going with 1.5m at this stage.

Thanks. I am really after answers to question 1 as Planche Dips are the main reason I am getting the bars done.

Joshua Slocum

It shouldn't be an issue. In the worst case you can do your planche dips in a tuck which is acceptable by the course standards. 

Where did you do the dip progressions in F2? Are you sure that won't be suitable for planche dips? 

• Upvote 1

Gavin Strelitz

For F2 I was in a gym that had dips bars and a smith machine (for single bar/Korean)

I have since built a home gym and the only thing I am short is parallel bars.

Joshua Slocum

Makes sense. 

I think you should be good for the planche dips. 

Just double check that you get them installed at the correct width! You don't want to end up with permanent pbars that are too wide or narrow. 

• Upvote 1

Gavin Strelitz

The beauty with the solution I am getting is that it is fully configurable. I can manually set the width as well as the height of the bars and I can easily remove the horizontal pipes to give me more space in my gym room.

• 4 months later...
Sam Andersen

What is the "correct" width for parallel bars?  I plan on building a set in my backyard in a couple of weeks.  While we are on the topic what size bar should I use?

• 2 weeks later...
Joakim Lindroth

What is the "correct" width for parallel bars?  I plan on building a set in my backyard in a couple of weeks.  While we are on the topic what size bar should I use?

Bar rounded profile: 5 centimetres (2.0 in) ± 1 millimetre (0.039 in) vertical by 4 centimetres (1.6 in) ± 1 millimetre (0.039 in) horizontal
Bar width: 4 centimetres (1.6 in) ± 1 millimetre (0.039 in).
Distance between bars: 42 centimetres (17 in) - 52 centimetres (20 in) (adjustable)
  • Upvote 1

Width for parallel bars will vary.

Most MAG gymnasts use the length of the elbow to a fist or fingertips, sometimes the first knuckles or even a bit wider. It's a personal thing. I like to set the P-bars a bit wide to compensate for my shoulder flexibility when I swing to handstand for instance. Same with parallettes.

One of the major concerns with women is it has to be wide enough for them to be able to do swings and not rap their thumbs as they swing.

• 1 year later...
On 6 January 2015 at 10:30 PM, Gavin Strelitz said:

Hi all,

I have decided to go with scaffolding for my parallel bars. I had a guy come out and measure everything up for me and it looks good. I have a couple of questions.

1. I am going to use floor to ceiling compression tubes which run vertically, then I will use two horizontal tubes as the parallel bars. Will the vertical bars get in my way when I want to do Planche Dips? In the video for HBP/PE 21 the athlete uses the end of the parallel bars. If I have vertical bars at the corners will this work? 

2. What length parallel bars would you suggest. I am going with 1.5m at this stage.

Thanks. I am really after answers to question 1 as Planche Dips are the main reason I am getting the bars done.

Hi, can you post a picture of your setting, using scaffolding? It was a possibility I considered...

Gavin Strelitz

Here you go. They are absolutely brilliant and I've used them for front lever, rope climb and manna progressions. And they were a very cheap option compared to the alternative of buying gym equipment.

IMG_0678.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...