Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pain on outside of wrist during shoulder dislocates

Joss Delage

In the last 2-3 weeks, I have developed some pain on my right wrist. The pain is felt on the outside (pinkie side) of the wrist - roughly in the area of the pisiform and triquetrum bones. It's hard to replicate but it generally happen when I apply force while holding a wrist position not completely aligned with the forearm.

One thing that systematically triggers the pain is doing shoulder dislocates with a wide grip, at the point when the dowel is low behind my back (say the last 1/3 of the movement). The pain disappears (1) when I warm up and narrow my grip or (2) if I only hold the bar with the index and middle fingers only. In short, the pain diminishes when my wrist is back in alignment with my forearm.

Push ups and the like are not particularly painful.

Does anyone know what I'm dealing with and how to proceed?

Thanks,

Joss

I'm looking at an aikido wrist exercise video that was posted in another thread, and the exercise 'kote gaeshi' @1:30 definitely triggers the pain...

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the top. The pain has increased on the shoulder dislocates, to the point where I can't alleviate the pain with a 2 finger hold. I find that using a rubber band (which allows for the wrist to be in alignment with the forearm) doesn't cause any pain, so I'm going to use that for now for my warm ups, but obviously it's not really a substitute.

Still no pain on the various wrist exercises (I'm in the early stages of Handstand 1).

Hubert Häggman

I had a month ago ulnar sided wrist pain during dislocates. What helped was that I massaged the flexors near the ulna with my other hand. After one 15minutes selfmassage the pain disappeared completely and hasn't come back. You should try to massage your whole forearms focusing on flexor muscles that have tendons near the painful area.

• Upvote 1

Joseph Blazuk

TFCC [vs ECU tendinopathy].  Back off volume, pushing through pain not smart, see a sports med doc, get accurate diagnosis, physical therapy, could try PRP or dextrose injection, there are also surgeons that will do surgery for this as last resort.

Pain indicates that you are training too hard.  Back off, rest for a week or two, then start again with a decreased intensity and listen to your body better next time.  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I get some pain on the pinkie/ulnar side of the wrist doing dislocates with a very wide grip (I've had both shoulder capsules "plicated", or sewn tighter to reduce multidirectional instability This means I have very poor external rotation, and have to do dislocates with such a wide grip that the pole hits the top of my head. Early days, though :).

IF you keep all fingers on the stick then when your arms are up behind you, the wrist is "deviated" toward the thumb (radial) side. This puts some tensile stress on ligaments on the ulnar side, including a thing called the "triangular fibro-cartilage complex".

I defer to Coach on this issue, however my take on it is this: shoulder dislocates are for the shoulders. Don't force your wrist into radial deviation and give yourself something else to have to work on or remediate.

When performing dislocates, lift a finger or two off the pole to relieve the tension on the ulnar side of the wrist when you need to, but replace the fingers for the rest of the motion. I had a colleague observe me to make sure I wasn't cheating in the action (which I was, what worked for me was actively pushing the pole away from my shoulders for the entire movement, not "lifting" the pole).

• Upvote 2