Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

are handstand wall runs necessary one you can do a press handstand?

MrAl

I do handstand press and planche work everyday for about one hour (sometimes just 6 days a week if I am tired), because those are my favourite!

And I do strength training (pull-ups, rope climb, dips, leg lifts, reverse leg lifts and squats) 3 days a week for about 40 minutes or so.

I do martial arts and tricking also almost everyday.

I have learned that handstand wall runs or also called shoulder tappers are a great workout too and will help you with your press handstands. I did them for some weeks and I really like them, they really left my neck sore next day!

I can straddle and pike press up pretty easily, even with weights on, due to my good flexibility I got from martial arts.
At the moment, I am working on the pike through on floor as well as a one arm press (well, that's hard!).

Usually, the day after the strength workout I feel a little more tired, not really sore because I am used to it but my muscles are definitely tired. So this will lead to really not wanting to do a lot of strength training, not even presses if my neck and shoulders are tired from the handstand wall runs.

So once you have a straddle and pike press easily, even with weights and working on harder stuff such as piking through, one arm presses, presses with hands close together etc.: do handstand wall runs still help or is it better to do more presses instead? Because the handstand wall runs would leave my neck and shoulders tired the next day and I wouldn't be able to press that much! Of course, the pull-ups and dips are still hard on my muscles, but those are different muscles.

So I would like to know if I should keep them in my workout schedule or not!

Thanks!

Yes, keep the wall runs. It still has its benefits even if you can do presses or one arm work. You just may not have to do them so often (maybe once or twice a week) after all your technical work.

Of course if you can put up volume quality presses it is a better use of your time, but why make it either or when there are benefits for both? If you are working one arm presses seriously then you are past beginner level HS and may be better served following the structure of the older WODs.

Treat your presses as strength work and do them first, and do wall runs a couple times a week finisher-style at the end of the session. Simple :)

• Upvote 2

Of course if you can put up volume quality presses it is a better use of your time, but why make it either or when there are benefits for both? If you are working one arm presses seriously then you are past beginner level HS and may be better served following the structure of the older WODs.

Treat your presses as strength work and do them first, and do wall runs a couple times a week finisher-style at the end of the session. Simple :)

Thanks for your advice! Of course I know that both are beneficial and I really appreciated HS Wall Runs in my Handstand Press Progression.

But the thing is if I do the handstand Wall Runs (Usually two sets of 100 on each hand, so 200 per hand in total), I feel pretty exhausted the day after and won't be able to press and planche as much as I could if I hadn't done the HS Wall Runs.

At the moment I can d:

- 4 pike presses from a stand in a row

- one standing pike press with with ankle weights

- a million standing straddle presses in a row  

- 5 sitting straddle presses in a row

- 2 sitting straddle press with ankle weights (albs per weight)

- a free standing handstand for 50-60 seconds

Now I want to work on more challenging stuff, because those things are getting kind of boring. I would love to be able to press up on just one handstand block, so one hand on top of the other, so I am practicing that at the moment by doing standing straddle presses with hands on top of each other and also lowering down to straddle L with hands on top of each other. And one arm handstand work.

Just to give you more insight of were I am now.

In my opinion, the presses with hands on top of each other require a lot of balance and body control, maybe even more than strength. So I thought it would be the best to train it as much as possible, isn't it?

But when doing the HS Wall Runs, I have the feeling that I take away energy for "nothing" but pure muscle work, no training of the movements, balance, etc.

I would appreciate your opinion once again and please correct me if I am wrong! Thanks

Coach Sommer

Please share some video of your press work, before we make specific recommendations.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

One standing pike press with ankle weights

A MILLION standing straddle presses in a row.... That escalated quickly! :P