Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

F1 and flexibility

Unbroken

My main goal is well-look V-sit, so I need flexibility and a little strength(hips, triceps, core).

1. I am wondering do I can stretch out after F1 routine?

2. Does F1 provide me strength for holding V-sit?

3. F1 will be better than BtGB with building strength for V-sit?

Thanks in advance!
Regards :)

Alexander Egebak

My main goal is well-look V-sit, so I need flexibility and a little strength(hips, triceps, core).

1. I am wondering do I can stretch out after F1 routine?

2. Does F1 provide me strength for holding V-sit?

3. F1 will be better than BtGB with building strength for V-sit?

Thanks in advance!

Regards :)

1: Yes, before or after. Just make sure you are warmed up thorougly

2: Especially the manna progressions will help with your active compression and static hold strength.

3: Yes, because of how well F1 is structured.

Joshua Slocum

1. Yup! Stretching is actually recommended :)

2. Foundation 1 will help greatly with developing the V-sit, but you probably won't be able to hold one until you're somewhere in F3 or F4. 

3. Absolutely. Foundation has much more detailed progressions and programming. 

1: Yes, before or after. Just make sure you are warmed up thorougly

2: Especially the manna progressions will help with your active compression and static hold strength.

3: Yes, because of how well F1 is structured.

1. I prefer stretch out after workout because then I know that I'm warmed up for sure.

2. I mean only F1 without F2,F3,F4. So your answer is yes?

My V-sit, but I can only hold this position for 1 second, no more. And I begin for tucked V-sit and straighten my legs. I would like to do better V-sit, and hold at least 10 seconds.

http://i.imgur.com/2oOZdXv.jpg

Edited by Unbroken

But it's the best way for strength and my dream V-sit? Better than BtGB? I ask as much detail because 80$ for F1 it's a lot for me (I'm student - you know) - 19 yo.

I would like to achieve V-sit per year. It's possible?

Edited by Coach Sommer

Katharina Huemer

1. Stretch as often as you can. Warming up before is recommend, as it reduces the risk of injury and is usually a lot easier. For a V-Sit active pike compression is needed. Make sure to work on that.

2. F1 will make your stronger overall and prepare your body for more advanced stuff. But in my opinion, it definitely won't enable you to hold a V-Sit. You should have at least mastered F2. From there on, it depends on the person and the kind of V-Sit.
(how good your compression is, how much you press your hips forward etc)

Joshua Slocum

If all you want is to learn a v-sit, you don't need to buy anything. There's more than enough free material available on the internet. If money is tight, that's the route I would take.

1. Stretch as often as you can. Warming up before is recommend, as it reduces the risk of injury and is usually a lot easier. For a V-Sit active pike compression is needed. Make sure to work on that.

2. F1 will make your stronger overall and prepare your body for more advanced stuff. But in my opinion, it definitely won't enable you to hold a V-Sit. You should have at least mastered F2. From there on, it depends on the person and the kind of V-Sit.

(how good your compression is, how much you press your hips forward etc)

Stretch every day is a good? It wouldn't be too much?

V-sit is my biggest dream, it's sounds strange, but it's true. So what I should do? I know that F1 is a big gymnastics "weapon" and FOUNDATION of gymnastics skills, but If I want only V-sit(at least for now). Maybe only BtGB(it's enough?) and a lot of gymnastics drills like hollow body, arch body for strength and a lot of stretch out after workout?

What do you think what I should to do?

Edited by Unbroken

Katharina Huemer

Stretch every day is a good? It wouldn't be too much?

V-sit is my biggest dream, it's sounds strange, but it's true. So what I should do? I know that F1 is a big gymnastics "weapon" and FOUNDATION of gymnastics skills, but If I want only V-sit(at least for now). Maybe only BtGB(it's enough?) and a lot of gymnastics drills like hollow body, arch body for strength and a lot of stretch out after workout?

What do you think what I should to do?

Stretching can't be overdone in my opinion. Of course, you should make sure you are warmed up and you shouldn't go past your comfort zone if you do it everyday. I am very flexible, but sometimes I overdo it by doing too intense oversplits or active flexibility and then I am sore the next few days and it's harder getting into the oversplits as usual. I train everyday and I stretch everyday, sometimes even twice. So nothing bad IN MY OPINION, but I am not a professional!

So all you want is really "just" a V-Sit? Because all I wanted to do when I started here was a few hanging leg lifts and now I am a lot further and still haven't achieved everything I want.

Aren't you interested in a Straddle Planche? I can't do it parallel to the floor yet, but the few seconds I can hold one feels like flying! So if you are training for a V-Sit anyways, why not incorporate other strength work? Wouldn't it be cool to climb a rope in L without legs?

However, if you still only want a V-Sit and are not interested in getting stronger overall, I would't buy Foundation to be honest. Because there are 7 skills you are working on and you would need to get to F3 or so to have the chance of a good V-Sit.

Although I would recommend it and Foundation is definitely the best way, it may not be the fastest! My coach always says "If it is easy, it is wrong!" 

You first need to build the strength to hold yourself up in a L-Sit or Straddle L. You need to develop the core muscles by doing a lot of V-Ups, Leg Lifts etc. Then all variations of L-Sits, L-Sit walks, straddle V-Sits etc. I also like working those against a wall. There are a lot of articles online.

Good Luck!

PS: A short quote I really like "Never give up on a dream because of the time it will take to accomplish it - the time will pass anyway"

I am the most impatient person in the world, but in gymnastics, patience should be your best friend!

I was thinking about other exercises like Straddle Planche, Straddle L-sit, Front Lever, Back Lever, Gymnast Flare(floor exercise) and even Iron Cross, but most I would like to get well-look 90 degree V-sit. Moreover "these" other exercises are harder than my V-sit I think.

I'm impatient also, grrr! Thanks for motivation! But in F1 is a good one thing - this routine is pretty good and takes less time, so it is important to me, because only my stretch out take my about 1.5 hour. I remember when I trained with BtGB and rest between sets 2 minutes instead 45-60 as Coach wrote, and all routine take me about 2.5 hour, so it is so long for me now.

But on other hand F1 is little boring to me. So what do you think about training with F1 3 days on week(with stretch out routine) and 2 days train pure strength like 5x5 with weighs for example weighted pull ups, weighted dips, weighted sls, weighted l-sit lifts and then rest between sets about 5 minutes without stretch out which take my 1.5 hour?

Alexander Egebak

I was thinking about other exercises like Straddle Planche, Straddle L-sit, Front Lever, Back Lever, Gymnast Flare(floor exercise) and even Iron Cross, but most I would like to get well-look 90 degree V-sit. Moreover "these" other exercises are harder than my V-sit I think.

I'm impatient also, grrr! Thanks for motivation! But in F1 is a good one thing - this routine is pretty good and takes less time, so it is important to me, because only my stretch out take my about 1.5 hour. I remember when I trained with BtGB and rest between sets 2 minutes instead 45-60 as Coach wrote, and all routine take me about 2.5 hour, so it is so long for me now.

But on other hand F1 is little boring to me. So what do you think about training with F1 3 days on week(with stretch out routine) and 2 days train pure strength like 5x5 with weighs for example weighted pull ups, weighted dips, weighted sls, weighted l-sit lifts and then rest between sets about 5 minutes without stretch out which take my 1.5 hour?

Hmm, for V-sit I would stretch the pike position so maybe Jefferson curls.

For strength having a solid L-sit would be a good start. For active compression work on hanging leg raises. That is the short version of it.

Yeah I know, in my stretch out routine there is active pike exercise like pike and straddle pike on floor and inverted pike without using arms(only pull my legs to my head), and about 4 exercise for hamstring, and something similar to jefferson curls, i mean standing pike with weight, but I have only 22 pounds, but I see that it's work. My stretch out routine comprises with 20 exercises for body(hip flexor, adductor, calves, upper back, lower back, quad, hamstring, shoulder, wrist, chest, glutes etc).

I can hold L-sit maybe for 30 seconds, but I never check this for this time, I usually do max 15 seconds in 4 series (60 seconds) ~BtGB

I can Hanging Leg Rasies but only L-sit and not above, but I do it on bar not gymnastics ladder, so I haven't lower back support.

Alexander Egebak

Build up your hanging leg raises. A big part of achieving the full hanging leg raise is also to have the flexibility and strength in that end range of motion. F1 will help you with that if interested. Remember also to not have an arch in your lower back when you do HLL.

• 2 weeks later...
Matthew Mutch

I was never even close to getting into the position of a V-up.  I've been doing F1 (slowly) for 6 months and I can now at least get into the position (my profile pic).  My low back isn't as straight as it should be...I'm still working on it.

• Upvote 2