Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HeSPU alternative wrist position?

raymcdowell12

raymcdowell12

Greetings and salutations, fellow hard bodied strength addicts. Long time lurker here, as the wonderful thing called Google search brings answers to most questions I throw at it. However, all queries on this topic have been in vain, yet I believe that there are surely others with experience here. I have been working at my HeSPUs faithfully and seeing great results, especially after correcting a form issue that proved I was much weaker than previously thought. A recent embark on my journey towards the planche has introduced me to the "wrists facing in, fingers pointing out to the sides" hand position. Becoming stronger in this gave me the idea to try it on my beloved (wall)HeSPUs and, whaddayaknow, worked pretty well. The hand position causes the elbows tnaturally come in and protrude at an almost perpendicular angle from the torso. I don't think my delts have ever been targeted so perfectly by an exercise. Anyone got any insight on this? As of right now I'm going to add this into my routine but I'm curious to others' input on pros and cons of using this hand position.

Turning the fingers to the outside can take the stress off the wrists for planche training. 

However I wouldn't use the same position for HSPU. I imagine it puts you in a weaker pushing

position and good luck holding the handstand at the top.   Maybe I photo or you hand position

could help see how far you are turning the wrists out?

raymcdowell12

My apologies, I can't post pics right now (but will try to later). I'm using a 90° rotation with the wrists parallel, thumbs pointing forward. You are 100% correct in that it both puts you in a weaker pushing position (due to the delts being more isolated from the triceps)and makes the top of the position a bit harder to hold. The difference here is basically the same as that between dumbbell shoulder presses in front with palms facing each other and the standard military press. It feels as if this hand position puts less stress on the shoulder joint, and therefore very safe. Let me clarify by saying that this will be just a supplemental exercise as a means of "hitting all angles" and increasing muscle activation. What I am primarily concerned with is:

1- Is there any reasons this is biomechanically unsafe? (I already know it's deliciously more strenuous)

2- Will this have any carryover to other movements? (Ex. Improving stability in planche, parallette HSPU)

3- If this is indeed safe and profitable, why is there no documentation on it? Spread the word, man!

I think you are just trying to re invent the wheel. When you can, try filming your HSPU with normal hand placement and maybe 

we can point of some things to help you. 

Joshua Slocum

You're thinking about it too hard. It's a headstand push-up. You should be able to do it in either hand position.

• Upvote 2