Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One arm straddle L-sit

Daniel Burnham

Daniel Burnham

After watching a recently popular video on one arm straddle L presses to handstand, I am interested in learning the straddle L.  Does anyone have any advice to doing these?  I can hold straddle L easily but one arm is much harder.  I also have a straddle planche and handstand pirouette but cannot yet do a one arm handstand.  Is this a prereq?

Handbalancer has talked about one arm handstand being a prereq, and that it needs to be built from one arm handstand via negatives (pressing down it into it).

Though I'm sure there are other ways to train it. A lot of people will use a weight in the free hand when developing one arm presses, as a counterweight. That could maybe work. Though I have no real experience with this so I don't want to just talk out my ass.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Mikael Kristiansen

You saw Viacheslav Spirin. He is a sports acro flyer and the strongest at that I have ever seen. The straddle hold itself isnt that hard to do or learn by just doing assisted holds with fingers on the side. However it isnt the same thing as you press from at all.Pressing 1 arm from straddle is probably the hardest balancing move except from pushing to 1 arm from crockodile without a kick.

You can easily learn the 1 arm straddle support in some weeks or months, and a 1 arm handstand isnt a prereq, but the thing is that you will end up doing it with squared shoulders paralell to the floor. When you press from it the shoulders are almost stacked on top of eachother and it feels more like doing a 1 arm handstand with the legs as deep down as they can go. Of course its possible to start it from squared shoulders, but its nuts hard, and i have at least never managed that. If you ever want to press from the straddle support, then i would definitely say that learning a 1 arm handstand is a prereq, but the "normal" straddle support shouldnt prove too challenging.

Pressing from it is probably the hardest thing I have ever learned to do. Even among high level balancers there arent that many that invest the amount of time necessary to be able to perform this press because it takes an insane amount of time. The best ones at it by far are the sports acrobatics flyers who learn it when young with insane flexibility over a period of many years.

• Upvote 2

Daniel Burnham

You saw Viacheslav Spirin. He is a sports acro flyer and the strongest at that I have ever seen. The straddle hold itself isnt that hard to do or learn by just doing assisted holds with fingers on the side. However it isnt the same thing as you press from at all.Pressing 1 arm from straddle is probably the hardest balancing move except from pushing to 1 arm from crockodile without a kick.

You can easily learn the 1 arm straddle support in some weeks or months, and a 1 arm handstand isnt a prereq, but the thing is that you will end up doing it with squared shoulders paralell to the floor. When you press from it the shoulders are almost stacked on top of eachother and it feels more like doing a 1 arm handstand with the legs as deep down as they can go. Of course its possible to start it from squared shoulders, but its nuts hard, and i have at least never managed that. If you ever want to press from the straddle support, then i would definitely say that learning a 1 arm handstand is a prereq, but the "normal" straddle support shouldnt prove too challenging.

Pressing from it is probably the hardest thing I have ever learned to do. Even among high level balancers there arent that many that invest the amount of time necessary to be able to perform this press because it takes an insane amount of time. The best ones at it by far are the sports acrobatics flyers who learn it when young with insane flexibility over a period of many years.

Interesting. Thank you for the information. I had not considered that shoulders would end up being squared. I was thinking it could be approached similarly to stalder press where learning the straddle and handstand seperately eventually lead to the skill.

Are there any other transitions out of a one arm straddle sit that are cool :). It seems that learning the press in that video will be unobtainable at least for many years.

Mikael Kristiansen

Thats where its very different from on 2 arms. Learning the straddle support and 1 arm handstand does not lead to learning the press. Before learning the actual press i would say something like 1+ min solid 1 arm, most positions, and strong flag variations is good before starting with negatives. 

The only other transition i can think of is to go to crocodile from it which is just bending the arm and leaning forwards which is very easy. You need to be on a cane or something to let your legs pass though.

Pressing 1 arm from straddle is probably the hardest balancing move except from pushing to 1 arm from crockodile without a kick.

On the same topic, what about a one arm l-sit press to candle? Is it actually possible, I haven't seen a video but I imagined it would be much, much harder than the one arm stalder?

Mikael Kristiansen

Its possible to press from L to candle yes. Its really hard to get out of the L without straddling a bit though and i havent seen anyone do it with a full pike all the way but im sure there are people who can. A friend of mine saw this guy Spirin do 16 1 arm presses on the floor in training so im sure to him it should be a joke.

When I press from L, I always straddle a bit to detatch from the arm which is hard enough. From there I can close the legs and pike up after a certain point if I am in shape. I havent had time to train this too much lately due to performing, but i think it would take a lot of time and effort to be able to lift it clean in pike all the way

• 2 weeks later...

A teacher of mine can OA straddle press to straddle OA.

His (rather succinct) protocol for the way he learned it: OA straddle handstand --- lower quarter down, hold for 10 seconds --- lower halfway, hold for 10sec ---lower 3/4 down, hold for 10 (at this point his toes are just off floor) --- lower to straddle hold, 10 seconds.

The only note is this guy falls into category of 'genetic mutant' as far as gymnastic strength goes.

ALSO edit re-edit: Worst vice is advice --- best of luck.

Mikael Kristiansen

Thats a good way to do it for sure. A very very long project to get to where you can get to that sort of negative of course. I think something along these lines and getting super strong flags is a great way to go. You would be a pro level handbalancer quite some time before getting the press haha.