Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pulled Hamstring

Jesus Rojas

Hi guys ! I just pulled my hamstring in a relatively easy to me front split, in the fifth set doing front splits something on my left leg pops, It was the day 22-11-2014. About two or three days later I got a bruise and I wait until Monday for go to see the doctor due to they don't work on weekends, he does a ultrasound on my left leg, and said that everything is ok, without no rupture or damaged, he said it was a slightly strain,  and also he checked me with a couple of physical movement and touching my leg, he receipt me a couple of medicament: Thiocolchicoside (muscular relaxant) Maxibol (Cobamamide) and a Spray for the affected zone. I've to take rest from 22-11-2014 until 20-12-2014. The strength of my injured leg is about 90% right now but my ROM is also limited.

Exercises that I've to eliminate:

- Squatting patterns with both legs ( I just do shrimps with my non-injured leg ).

- My beloved Jefferson Curl, pancake and any stretch or motion that involves the hamstring.

- L-sit with both legs, I just can do the L-sit with my left leg bent, I can't hold my injured leg on a 90 degree angle.

Thoughts ? If you guys have a tip, recommendation or critique that could help me, I will be glad to hear it.

Thanks !

Edited by chuchodani

David McManamon

Lewie West stated in a podcast, "Never waste an injury". You have to analyze what aspect of your preparation was inadequate that caused the injury?  Warm-up? Hamstring strength? Ignored warning signs?  Diet? Rest? Based on the very limited information we can't determine what steps you might take to improve your stretching and strength routines.

It is shocking how quickly medication is prescribed for a strain.  I would want to feel any discomfort, you have to avoid any further damage to your hamstring to let it heal.

There are also different kinds of hamstring strains - belly or attachment, etc. It is worth Googling to better understand the prognosis of your particular strain.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Upvote 3

Lewie West stated in a podcast, "Never waste an injury". You have to analyze what aspect of your preparation was inadequate that caused the injury?  Warm-up? Hamstring strength? Ignored warning signs?  Diet? Rest? Based on the very limited information we can't determine what steps you might take to improve your stretching and strength routines.

It is shocking how quickly medication is prescribed for a strain.  I would want to feel any discomfort, you have to avoid any further damage to your hamstring to let it heal.

There are also different kinds of hamstring strains - belly or attachment, etc. It is worth Googling to better understand the prognosis of your particular strain.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thanks for your comment ! I'm really trying to figure out what happen because I wasn't feeling any pain or discomfort before or in the exact moment of the injury, it was really unexpected. 

Vinni Williams

There are a couple of factors that could have contributed to your injury. I am a physical therapy student.

Did you warm up prior to the front split?

How early in the day was your workout?

Did you do any heavy leg work before the stretch? 

Have you been doing a lot of leg work or heavy stretching the past couple of days?

Did you do anything different that what you normally do in your workout that day?

The best thing you can do for the first 7-10 days is rest the leg, ice 15-20 minutes multiple times a day, wrap the leg with compression wrap, anti inflammatory medicine, elevate it while relaxing/watching tv, LIGHT activity and ROM with the injured leg, making sure that you dont feel any pain with the movements. No stretching!

After 7-10 days and the pain has decreased by 75-90% work on increasing your ROM and increase the amount of work you do with the leg. Make sure you still don't do anything that causes pain!

There are a couple of factors that could have contributed to your injury. I am a physical therapy student.

Did you warm up prior to the front split?

How early in the day was your workout?

Did you do any heavy leg work before the stretch? 

Have you been doing a lot of leg work or heavy stretching the past couple of days?

Did you do anything different that what you normally do in your workout that day?

The best thing you can do for the first 7-10 days is rest the leg, ice 15-20 minutes multiple times a day, wrap the leg with compression wrap, anti inflammatory medicine, elevate it while relaxing/watching tv, LIGHT activity and ROM with the injured leg, making sure that you dont feel any pain with the movements. No stretching!

After 7-10 days and the pain has decreased by 75-90% work on increasing your ROM and increase the amount of work you do with the leg. Make sure you still don't do anything that causes pain!

1) I didn't warm up for my front split work, it was more like when you have your ROM available all the time, it was more like a maintenance.

2) My workout was in the night about 8-9pm.

3) I wasn't doing any heavy leg workout before the stretch, my leg workout is just based on pistol squats.

4) I wasn't doing any heavy leg workout or stretch, just my pistols, pancake and jefferson curls.

5) Maybe my workout was too late in the night, It's usually at 5pm.

Based on your comments and the article shared by Rayne, I'm gonna try to slowly build my ROM in order to avoid muscular atrophy.

Update : I've been introducing squatting patterns with both legs again, without pain or discomfort.

My ROM with injured leg compared with healthy one:

Leg_zps476726a4.png

Leg2_zps6f5d8b85.png