Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Locked elbows=bad.

James Portillo

James Portillo

What do you GBers think about what he's saying in his commentary? Also scroll down and read his comments about why he believes locked elbows to be bad and not 'correct' training. What would you say to someone like that at that point?

Daniel Burnham

Going to take a quote from coach sommer here and say it's just the blind leading the blind. If you are unprepared than locking the arms and putting a large amount of strain on them is dangerous.

However if you take the time and develop the connective tissue it's not a problem. It's like saying starting deadlift by lifting 500 pounds is dangerous so it shouldn't be done. We all know that if you start slow and build up a 500 pound deadlift can be done without harming you.

In the end it's just some guy who doesn't know what he is talking about because of lack of experience. Take your advice from a credible source.

• Upvote 11

I couldn't make it passed the 4min mark. This guy obviously taught himself and knows jack **** about handstands.

Start slow, build the straight arm strength and it will carry over big time in the future. 

• Upvote 2

James Portillo

Daniel, I only stumbled across this video by accident and was so baffled by the ignorance and the adamant nature In which he defends his points. It's hilarious really . I wanted to make another reply but I realized that it wouldn't get through his thick skull so I wanted to see what other like minded individuals on the forums would say.

PS: I'm TheRealist in the comments.

• Upvote 1

Colin Macdonald

I read his comments as well "Any injury whatever it is happens only when you overtrain."

Don't listen to this guy, he has no idea what he's talking about.

• 4 months later...
Rajesh Bhat

what the heck is he saying? straight arms have nothing to do with strength?

*sigh*

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: