Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back lever question

hype

Hi!

I was wondering if after learning planche and front lever, would one have a backlever as a "byproduct"?

My guess is yes since planche and front lever are MUCH more harder, just like planche pushups give you one arm pushup as a byproduct

Am i right?

I think that after mastering planche and front lever, you will have a solid base in order to learn the back lever but it doesn't mean you can just jump into one, my personal preference would be to start from the first progression, and with my solid base of strength from planche and front lever I would progress faster. 

• Upvote 1

to be honest i think there a really just a few people in the world struggling with a back lever after mastering a straddle planche or even easier variations. from my experience i would say the front lever doesnt really have a huge carryover to backlever because the back lever does not require as much core strength.

Christian Nogueira

It's likely that you'd have the muscular strength to do one, but you should be careful and follow the progressions leading up to it in order to build the biceps tendon strength. 

There's a lot of strong people who gained elbow tendinitis because they were strong enough to hold full lay back lever but not wise enough not to overdo it.

• Upvote 1

It's likely that you'd have the muscular strength to do one, but you should be careful and follow the progressions leading up to it in order to build the biceps tendon strength. 

There's a lot of strong people who gained elbow tendinitis because they were strong enough to hold full lay back lever but not wise enough not to overdo it.

but the question is: did they master the straddle planche before? i guess not ;)

Christian Nogueira

but the question is: did they master the straddle planche before? i guess not ;)

I'm not sure but even in that case mastering the straddle planche with hands facing forwards/sideways or on paralletes doesn't not guarantee that you should just jump into full lay back lever (to anyone who is casually reading this do not construe this as recommending one should master straddle planche with hands backwards as I think that just the progressions for that are harder on the biceps tendon than back lever). 

I'm not saying it can't be done, but surely to go through the progressions to back lever for a few months can't be that hard for someone who has mastered straddle planche.

Probably it would be healthy to master rope climbs as well.

If you can afford them, master the Foundations and then go on to Rings One is probably the best bet long term.

As a beginner, my recommendation is to not begin serious back lever training until after Foundation has been mastered.

You may be one of the ones who are lucky and avoid injury when beginning back lever work prematurely. Or you might be one of the few who rupture their bicep. You will need to decide if the reward is worth the risk.

It may help to understand that it is not soley and issue of strength, but an issue of appropriate mobility as well.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

As a beginner, my recommendation is to not begin serious back lever training until after Foundation has been mastered.

You may be one of the ones who are lucky and avoid injury when beginning back lever work prematurely. Or you might be one of the few who rupture their bicep. You will need to decide if the reward is worth the risk.

It may help to understand that it is not soley and issue of strength, but an issue of appropriate mobility as well.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Yes I know about the risks of learning back lever before being prepared, I was asking this merely out of curiosity, cause i noticed that I had an almost 60 sec l-sit as a byproduct of mastering HILLs and i thought the same thing could happen with backlever.

Anyways, I will probably learn the planche and the front lever before backlever to prevent any injuries!

• Upvote 1