Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HSPress Control

shoni

hai hai!

Here's a video of me doing... I don't even know if you can call it a press, but whatever it is- I was super excited that it happened without any jumping. ;)

clicky

I am circus- (clearly) not a gymnast, and can hold a straight line handstand for about a minute from kicking into it. I've been practicing straight arm wall presses consistantly for about 2 weeks. However, I would really appreciate any advice or new drills I could do to develop control and straight arms.

Oh also, my wrists hurt quite a bit if I lean too far over them or do handstands for too long. I do stretch em every day, but heard from someone that I should use wrist braces/support. Is this a good idea? If anyone uses those, can you direct me to ones I should buy?

Thank youuu! :D

Alessandro Mainente

the problem basically is the straight arms movement.

I really suggest you to look for handstand 2, it covers pretty well the SA part.

Katharina Huemer

I actually don't know why so many people are doing the press with bent arms.

My coach always does it, but he says it is because he is so inflexible (he really is!) so that's why he is doing it with bent arms.

I also see a lot of guys doing it. I have no idea, but I just guess it must tax different muscles than the straight arm press and I guess this is definitely the wrong technique. Still, it is a great strength move, but I am not sure if you can call it a press!

I would start working on flexibility (if you need to) and really focus on pressing with completely straight arms!

Ideally, you shouldn't lean forward a lot when you do a straddle press. When I do a pike press, I need to lean forward more, but in a straddle press, I make sure your legs make a very very big circle around and I don't lean forward.

Have you ever tried it with straight arms?

Alexander Egebak

Doing handstand(presses) with bent arms is like doing any other exercises with bent arms; you miss out A LOT of the benefits.

Ryan Hutchins

I would start with elevated Press HS. Find an object you can put your feet on that allows them to be higher than your hands. Keep your arms straight and don't let them bend in any way. If they do then reset the position and add more height to your platform that supports your feet. This will help you build strength and focus on form.

As far as your wrists you need to be strengthening them. Its not enough to stretch them.

There is nothing wrong with a bent arm Press HS. If thats what you want. If you are working on the straight arm version then don't let your arms bend in any way. Not even the slightest bit. If you need any help feel free to ask.

Brent Johnson

Good for you! You're doing a skill very few people in the general population can do, so congratulations. If you want to develop straight-arm press, work on your straddle flexibility and just do your best to keep your elbows straight as you press. Your wrists will eventually adapt too, just stretch and warm them up them before you train, and if they are too sore lay off for a day or two.

Brent

Straight arm pHS target specific muscles. Bent arm pHS target other muscles. Planche pHS target still different muscles. By mixing all of your pHS training together haphazardly you are beginning a slow journey to nowhere in terms of pHS strength development.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will do elevated straight-arm Press HS and stop with the bent arms.

Wrists hurt quite a bit when leaning, but I've started rice bucket strengthening. :3
Thanks again!