Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Breaking a Workout Up Throughout The Day?

Justus0704

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this?

If one were to take their gymnastics routine, whether it be foundations or anything, and instead of doing it in one sitting, spread the movements throughout the day, would that improve, hinder, or not matter in terms of progression? For example, you have 5 or 6 different movements to be conducted. You plan around when specific movements would be done. All exercises have 5 sets to be conducted. You do all 5 sets of exercise one, wait a couple hours, and then do the 5 sets for exercise two, and so on. Basically you would be able to give 100% to every movement, throughout the day.

Thought it could be a cool idea. Let me know what you guys think.

I do that. I do 1 hour in the morning right after I wake and 1 hour after I get home from school. I think I remember some people on this forum saying they do that too. My progress has been fine doing this.

• Upvote 1

I do that. I do 1 hour in the morning right after I wake and 1 hour after I get home from school. I think I remember some people on this forum saying they do that too. My progress has been fine doing this.

but how foundation takes 2hours a day for you is beyond me..

Alexander Egebak

Maybe he is not doing foundation. If he is though he is missing out on the work capacity gains.

This works well for breaking up different exercises such as straight and bent arm work or skill practice.

Bare in mind, your body and muscles are slowly starting to break down and rewire by about 4 hours after you finish.

It also takes some time to rewarm up besides to go wherever you train unless it's just at home or outside.

No I am not doing foundation. The 1 hour in the mornings is usually the high intensity training which includes rest times. The 1 hour in the afternoons is low intensity. Yes, my work capacity isn't that great.

Thanks for the replies thus far guys.

BlairBob,

I try to keep the gymnastics movements down to 5 a day. So what I may try is on Mon, Wed, Fri, before each exercise, do a couple sets of a small lighter version of what I am about to do. Basically wake up, do 2-3 warm up sets, then 3-5 sets of the movent, repeat when I get to work, repeat before lunch, do another exercise before I go home, then the last one for the day before dinner. Then on Tuesday and Thursday, get to work, do an single exercise of 3-5 sets, repeat before lunch, repeat before leaving work, get home and do conditioning (sprints or sandbag lifts and carries or whatever). Instead of blocking off an hour or two, this may be kind of fun. I figure a single exercise will maybe take 10 min out of an hour. Then on Tuesday and Thursday conditioning for maybe 20-30 minutes. Maybe a 2-5 mile run on Saturdays.

F7, if done with general warm-up, and full warm-up sets, could take a while.  Also, F + HS + Press HS can add up.  I have also found that with some of the F exercises that are difficult for me, and for which I have not yet obtained mastery for the very reason that my tempo is too slow, the work sets take longer.  

F7 can take a while but if you do it properly (without rest) then even with the general warm up it shouldn't be more than an hour. It's only ever taken me that long when I was on mastery for everything and I was feeling tired so I was going slowly. I think people try to incorporate too much with the warm up sometimes. I've seen a lot of people trying to have a warm up of f7 easier exercises and then doing a proper f7 workout. That is just unnecessary IMO. I spend 10 mins getting my heart rate up and opening myself up from any stiff points with mobility / a couple of previous pes I have had trouble with in the past.

• Upvote 2

Alexander Egebak

F7 can take a while but if you do it properly (without rest) then even with the general warm up it shouldn't be more than an hour. It's only ever taken me that long when I was on mastery for everything and I was feeling tired so I was going slowly. I think people try to incorporate too much with the warm up sometimes. I've seen a lot of people trying to have a warm up of f7 easier exercises and then doing a proper f7 workout. That is just unnecessary IMO. I spend 10 mins getting my heart rate up and opening myself up from any stiff points with mobility / a couple of previous pes I have had trouble with in the past.

I agree. I'm not advanced enough to really need anything other than getting my body warm. That takes 5 minutes and then bent arm strength serves as additional warmup. I do however warm up before doing straddle work. My workout takes about 1 hour too.

I break up my workout quite often. This do to my work. For example, on Tuesday I did H1/H2 in the morning. Got home, did one element of Foundation before dinner and the rest of the Foundation after dinner. One problem with doing it this way is that I have to do the warm up 3 times and it's not very time effective. But this way I get it done even when I have long days at work.

• Upvote 1

Is F7 just doing all 7 elements in a single workout or sameday?

I've seen it across the forums a few times.