Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Concentric velocity for strength gains

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

I read this article and I've found it kind of interesting. Since resistance is resistance all of this should apply also to GST and body weight training in general. What do you guys think about this? Are there any benefits in performing the concentric part of a (for example) PPP faster?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24734902

Alessandro Mainente

With fast execution we mean explosive? well if it is, plyo work must be done when you can manage at least from 12- to 15 reps with regular controlled movement. SInce the plyo is extremely hard on connective tissue you need a lot of basic strength.

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Oh no, we're not talking about plyos. They just found that performing the concentric part of the movement fast (as opposed to the slow controlled tempo of the eccentric) can make you stronger, given the fact that, without changing the load, you're producing more force (F=mass x acceleration).

in certain cases there is just not such thing as lifting something slow. this is especially true for all the powerlifts. just look at some (raw) world record squats (e.g. malanichev): their speed looks like they could easily add 50kg more. if you dont apply max force to the bar and use it with maximum speed (which must not LOOK really fast) there is just no chance to move the bar at all.

i dont think you can apply this principle to GST because here you need full control, i.e. being able to stop anywhere, during the full ROM.