Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

cast handstand - which muscles?

Katharina Huemer

Katharina Huemer

I was not sure if I should post this in skill development or basic strength but as I am looking for a strength exercise I decided to post it here!

Usually, I do cast handstands with legs together everyday. But I was wondering - which muscles are used in that? Is it just shoulder strength?

What exercises can you do to train for it?

I think planche work would be a good option for leaning over the bar. But what else can I do?

Thanks!

Most WAG coaches blend planche work (tuck planche) and HSPU work. Also requires lower back strength for the kick from piking the hips and extending (think HeS/HS leglifts, superman leglifts on a pommel horse or table with ankleweights).

Another good drill is support swing to HS on Parallel Bars.

Getting back to it, it's delts, triceps, pecs, lats, traps.

Katharina Huemer

Most WAG coaches blend planche work (tuck planche) and HSPU work. Also requires lower back strength for the kick from piking the hips and extending (think HeS/HS leglifts, superman leglifts on a pommel horse or table with ankleweights).

Another good drill is support swing to HS on Parallel Bars.

Getting back to it, it's delts, triceps, pecs, lats, traps.

Thanks BlairBob!

The reverse leg lifts - with how much should they be done if I weigh 120lbs?

Is it better to perform like 3 set of 8 with 15lbs or 3 sets of 20 with 4 lbs?

• Upvote 1

Hmm, that's a good question. I would think the usage of both rep schemes would be beneficial. Heavier sessions with 8-12 reps and lighter days of 15-30 on lighter days. I/we used to do HeS/HLL generally in sets of 10 but often sets of RLL in higher reps. I've never really had a chance to play with these weighted too much with gymnastics because a lack of the necessary equipment.

I found this about the use of Reverse Hypers on Louie Simmons website, Westside-barbell.com . ​Bare in mind, Reverse Hypers are generally done with momentum and relatively heavy loads. A reverse hyper is similar to a Reverse Leg Lift/Superman Leg lift.

"We have been using the Reverse Hyper machine since 1975. It builds not only the lower back, but also the hamstrings and glutes. The real secret of this machine is that it tractions the vertebrae while you use it, so it builds strength and works as restoration at the same time. We do these at least four times a week; twice heavy and twice light. Chuck Vogelpohl and I use the Reverse Hyper machine heavy before and after squatting on Friday mornings. I do them light on Friday evening. This is repeated on Monday, max effort day. On Tuesday evening Eskil Thomasson and I do heavy again because they traction the back so you can do them repeatedly throughout the week. The reps range from 8 to 12 on heavy workouts and 15 to 30 on light workouts."

Alexander Egebak

Hmm, that's a good question. I would think the usage of both rep schemes would be beneficial. Heavier sessions with 8-12 reps and lighter days of 15-30 on lighter days. I/we used to do HeS/HLL generally in sets of 10 but often sets of RLL in higher reps. I've never really had a chance to play with these weighted too much with gymnastics because a lack of the necessary equipment.

I found this about the use of Reverse Hypers on Louie Simmons website, Westside-barbell.com . ​Bare in mind, Reverse Hypers are generally done with momentum and relatively heavy loads. A reverse hyper is similar to a Reverse Leg Lift/Superman Leg lift.

"We have been using the Reverse Hyper machine since 1975. It builds not only the lower back, but also the hamstrings and glutes. The real secret of this machine is that it tractions the vertebrae while you use it, so it builds strength and works as restoration at the same time. We do these at least four times a week; twice heavy and twice light. Chuck Vogelpohl and I use the Reverse Hyper machine heavy before and after squatting on Friday mornings. I do them light on Friday evening. This is repeated on Monday, max effort day. On Tuesday evening Eskil Thomasson and I do heavy again because they traction the back so you can do them repeatedly throughout the week. The reps range from 8 to 12 on heavy workouts and 15 to 30 on light workouts."

What is the reverse hyper machine?