Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strict muscle up with no training

Oz Pariser

Hi all,

Just wanted to give another testimonial to the power of the foundation program. I don't train muscle ups at all, and had never done any strict ones in my life up until this point. All I do for strength training is foundation. Here is my strict muscle up. Not perfect yet by gymnast standards but not bad for someone who is still on Foundation 1 for every element.

• Upvote 19

Alessandro Mainente

Not so bad as you think! nice job!

the power of foundation plus patience and hard work!

• Upvote 2

Ryan Hutchins

Terrible form! You were leaning forward and then coming down you....

Oh wait. This is just from Foundation 1? Great Job Bro!!!! Looks like you will go far in the strength world of gymnastic strength. I was kidding about the form. I like the ring turn out. Keep it up!

Good to hear. Deciding where to start but the process seems to work.

I always recommend starting at the beginning.   ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Ching Yin Leung

Hey kimura, that's awesome! I would love to get to muscle up one day.

Just for context, I was wondering if you can share which PEs you are currently at for each F1 elements.

Are you also doing H1?

What type of strength training did you do before GST?

How many pull ups could you do prior to GST?

How many dips could you do prior to GST?

Do/did you have any other fitness training (ie. sports, crossfit)?

Scott Pelton-Stroud

Inspired by this, I tried a negative muscle-up after my upper-body foundation workout this past wednesday, and it was pretty smooth! This is given that I failed on my last RC set and I'm a bit behind kimura in F1.

• Upvote 1

Matthew Mutch

Nice Kimura!  Congrats on your F1 work paying off ways you didn't expect!

I experienced the same surprising gains from F1 when we were learning how to do ring muscle ups and I was never remotely close to performing one rep.  3 months into F1, I decided to try and was able to do one (in poor gymnastics form of course).  The other attendees kept asking how I had trained it, and I told them I hadn't. :lol:   I did tell them that F1 accelerated my strength gains immensely.  

Keep it up the hard work.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
Scott Pelton-Stroud

Tried the negative again this past wednesday at the end of my workout (it was deload week). It felt easy.

I've never been taught how to do one, so my technique is probably pretty abysmal. However, I definitely wasn't able to do it before trying last week, so this was a huge morale booster for me! Since it was deload week, I didn't want to push it, but I'm going to give the positive part a try sometime in the near future.

• Upvote 2

Daniel Burnham

I'm very happy people are starting to realize that if you do the work early on you will be able to keep moving through and will make better progress.

There have been so many debates about the muscle up requiring a lot of technique. Fact is that once you get strong enough it isn't really much of a problem at all.

Keep up the good work guys.

• Upvote 6

Doug Grainger

Fact is that once you get strong enough it isn't really much of a problem at all.

Is that why it's called the "Muscle Up" instead of the "Technique Up"?

• Upvote 3

Luzian Scherrer

Funny - after reading this thread I've tried it as well. On wednesday I wasn't able to make it through the transition but I felt that I was very close. Yesterday I somehow knew that it was going to be possible and I just performed the first slow muscle up in my life. I've restarted serious F1/H1 work barely three months ago.

• Upvote 1