Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stretches/warmup for sore lower back?

Parkerson Seward

Parkerson Seward

So during my workouts I've been getting some soreness in my lower back. Sometimes when doing front lever work and sometimes from doing leg work on other days.

I should add that in addition to Foundation I also do leg press, leg curl, and leg extensions for my leg workouts.

After the workout I put some IcyHot or something on and it's ok later that night and the next day. So it's not a lingering pain, just soreness.

I stretch before and after the workout. This only started happening in the last few weeks, could it be due to using too much weight on the leg exercises?

And really I could use some reccomendations on what to do before/during/after a workout for your lower back mobility and health.

Thanks.

Stefano Baral

Hi,

this is a good serie that I use always to warm up the lower back:

I also do it in a sitting position.

The 1,3 and 6 IMs for the side lever progression in Foundation 1 are also useful, and you

can find many routines on YouTube with a specific search.

The leg press can stress the lower back in my experience.

I think that you have spent too little time in the IMs that are specific for preparing the lower spine:

the windmills and the Jefferson curls, and is also likely that your lower back problems with the

front lever work are caused by an insufficient posterior pelvic tilt.

Hope this helps

Ste'

• Upvote 5

Jefferson curls, pike stretches etc. can make your back pretty sore, if you're not used to it. If that's the case, scale back the stretching for a while, don't increase it.

Parkerson Seward

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

@ bigB and @ Stefano Beral, I've started doing all of those stretches before and after my workouts and it seems to be helping. My pelvic tilt is something I noticed about a year ago and have been working on, before that I had no clue. I've scaled back the weighted leg work a little too. I think I'm going to incorporate some foam rolling.

Very often I find glute and or piriformis stretches solve lower back stiffness in short order. I also have good results from high rep swivel hips, but make sure these are pretty easy for you first ,:)

• Upvote 2

Hang from rings or bar, pikey front and backward swings or straddle swings side to side. Or pikey support swings on PB.

Another good one is setup a block near a set of PB. Lay torso on block while holding support columns. Do slow Reverse Leg lifts or straddled RLL swings. Also can be done on a side horse or table.

• Upvote 1

Parkerson Seward

Very often I find glute and or piriformis stretches solve lower back stiffness in short order. I also have good results from high rep swivel hips, but make sure these are pretty easy for you first , :)

Thanks, I was doing glute stretches but nothing involving swivel hips. I'll see how they do before adding them.

Hang from rings or bar, pikey front and backward swings or straddle swings side to side. Or pikey support swings on PB.

Another good one is setup a block near a set of PB. Lay torso on block while holding support columns. Do slow Reverse Leg lifts or straddled RLL swings. Also can be done on a side horse or table.

So I googled pikey swings and got a bunch of results about how I should never trust a pikey, which is the wrong context I think.

Can you explain the part in your post I underlined?