Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basic Ring Strength 1

Coach Sommer

I mean although you have a false grip (and can hold without firm grip with leaning on wrists) , don't soften palm grip (most common mistake).

I mean although you have a false grip (and can hold without firm grip with leaning on wrists) , don't soften palm grip (most common mistake).

I've noticed this a lot too! Especially when getting used to using grips..then I realized I simply wasn't squeezing enough.

I've noticed this a lot too! Especially when getting used to using grips..then I realized I simply wasn't squeezing enough.

It can slip to armpits if oyu are not squeezing enough hahahahaha

• 7 months later...

Dear all,

I just wanted to ask a question regarding the ring training. I only workout between an hour and an hour and a half every day and try to balance it between upper and lower body so I only train my upper body every other day only using the rings. The doubt that I have is how often you should train with the rings to avoid injuries. I read a comment that Jonathan Horton made on a Youtube video where he mentioned that he did ring strength only twice a week to avoid injury and regular conditioning everyday. What would you guys recommend me? Like I said, I only workout my upper body about 3 times a week with the rings and the other days I let it rest and don't do any conditioning.

I appreciate the help guys and hopefully this can benefit everybody.

Bare in mind the difference in difficulty, especially as John is probably working a lot of straight arm strength, swing to strength hold.

If you start feeling achy in your joints such as elbows and shoulders, you'll know to lay off. This can happen easily when working just muscle-ups though.

Joshua Naterman

Yea, the things that he does every day are on a difficulty level similar to what 30 or 45 degree wall push ups are to us. Keep that in mind and scale your daily work accordingly. If your workouts are arm curls with 40 lbs for 6 reps, your daily conditioning would be something like 10-15 lbs for maybe 8-10 reps. Maybe less.

The daily stuff is just range of motion work with a low enough load to avoid muscle damage while slightly accelerating the natural healing process. As a beginner or intermediate trainee, as nearly all of us are, it is hard to think in light enough terms because it seems like sissy work to us.