Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basic Ring Strength 1

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

The development of advanced ring strength skills always begins with mastering the basics. Attempting advanced ring strength elements (iron cross, maltese etc.) without properly building an adequate foundation will always result in failure and/or injury.

One of the simplest ring strength series that I begin my introductory athletes with follows below. Generally for introductory athletes, this series will require a great deal of hand-spotting on my part. It is also important to note that only the bare minimum of assistance necessary should be provided, the athlete should substantially struggle during the execution of this series; while simultaneously being required to attempt perfect execution.

BASIC RING STRENGTH 1:
Muscle-up to support (strongly emphasize chest up, arm straight and elbows locked during the support), roll backwards from support to a back lever, pull out to inverted hang, lower to a front lever, pull out to inverted hang.

Each time through the series should be regarded as a single "set". I recommend performing 2-3 sets of this series for introductory athletes.

Intensity can be increased by increasing the number of repetitions per movement within the series; for example performing up to 3 muscle-ups, or 3 back levers or 3 front levers. It is not necessary to perform the same number of repetitions with all of the internal elements within the series. For example, if the current emphasis is on developing a stronger back lever for the athlete, then perhaps 3 back lever pulls are performed with the other elements remaining at one repetition.

Intensity on the levers may also be increased by requiring a hold time on each repetition of up to 10 seconds, although 5 seconds is closer to my general required norm.

The Xtreme Rings which have been responsible for building a great deal of this athlete's strength are available here.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

David Picó García

:o

That'sincredible, this muscle up, was a truly muscle up, and i didnt realize how to do the backward roll. Thank you for the video. Although im not able to do that beginning series :? (i'll have to do it with one leg tucked for back and front lever).

Really strong little guy. I like the last expression of his face "Is that right coach or do you want a maltesse? :P

Ricky Dawson

Very nice routine for us mortals to work towards... lol

The one question that arises from watching this vid, when performing the front and back lever the lad had the rings in a neutral position. Is there a reason for this? advantages or disadvantages? I personally would have thought the 'better/correct' way to perform the front and back lever is with palms away?

These 'preview' vids are really inspiring and shows just how great this site is and how amazing its going to be.

Thanks once again,

Ricky, London, England

David Picó García

and dont forget the music, superman and the back lever fits incredible well :P

That kid has a nice pull to back lever, props Coach you've got a good bunch of kids under your wing.

Yep, this is eccentric hell. Very similar to the rings series I'm familiar with.

I liked how the lil guy pulled out of the skin the cat with a straight body through back lever to front. Damn hard.

Having the rings neutral makes it slightly easier IMO. It also isn't so hard on the elbows, especially during a back lever with palms facing down. He does have a bit of hyperextension in his elbows like lil kids tend to do.

• 2 months later...
Edward Smith

Coach Sommer,

Would you suggest being able to do a muscle up, solid (not necessarily full) front and back levers before starting to work a ring strength and if you can't just use the rings for singular exercises (for the time being)? or would you suggest just tailoring it to ones ability?

I would tailor it by starting in support (good support, straight arms, chest up, rings turned outward) hold for 5-10 seconds, some dips working on getting to transition point of muscle up 3 or so reps, backwards roll to basket hang open to inverted hang. lower to straddle back lever 3-5 second hold lower to german hang pull out either adv tucked or straddle, adv tuck front lever 3-5 seconds lower to a 'regular' hang, finally pull ups (trying to get into transition point).

Yours on rings,

Ed

Coach Sommer

No, I wouldn't wait. It is important to tailor the series to match your current abilities while attempting to maintain a semblance of the original structure (pull, push, support, lever, lever).

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Edward Smith

well even after catering it to my abilities I'm still tired! But I did do it. Coach or anyone else with the personal knowledge is it regular to get post-workout soreness (day-after, five minutes-after :wink: ) cause the only thing I've gotten day after soreness from (strength training wise) was ab wheel, which really bought out the abs :lol: , so if that's any indicator to go by 8) .

Ed

Coach Sommer

Post workout soreness is not a reliable indicator of the proper conditioning work being accomplished; progressive increases in strength is.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Edward Smith

I was a bit unclear with that sorry. Yes, I understand that soreness (post-workout) does not necessarily mean that your training is effective, more often than not it probably means you are over-stepping your limits. But for me the only time I've had post-workout soreness (day after) was from ab wheel, this is referring to strength training and when I haven't killed myself with high reps, long holds, etc. My real question is Coach is it regular to experience post-workout soreness when first incorporating a ring strength series or is it an indicator that I should scale it down?

Oww I didn't actually experience any day after soreness, I wrote the previous post last night straight after my workout and my arms felt like jelly so I thought I would most likely experience it. Thanks for your continued input Coach,

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having some trouble wit the roll backwards from support. The jolt is quite painful. Any tips?

Coach Sommer

To remove the jerk from the roll make to sure to begin by pulling strongly with the arms as you go backwards, keeping the elbows bent, and then gradually straightening as you complete the roll. This will allow your arms to act as a shock absorber and will greatly increase your comfort level with this skill.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for that. This had been making me avoid the ring series because I found it really unpleasant.

• 1 year later...
Alessandro Mainente

a simple question...qhat do you think about a front lever performed with a false grip? is more difficult then the normale front lever? also is possible perform a back lever with false grip?

yes, it is possible as some of the dipping variations with back lever use a false grip in GB.

I've seen FL done in a false grip so they could transition into the MU. The difficult thing is maintaining the false grip but I can't say from experience, just some playing around with FL progressions sometime ago.

• 1 year later...

you guys are calling this basic, I'm happy I can do dips and just hold myself up for awhile. This reminds me the time I first learned to ski and my cousin threw me on a black diamond...

Joshua Naterman

I've been playing with this and just doing a lot of muscle up transitions really develops the ability to do the false grip FL which lets you start messing with galimores. It takes practice, of course, but the strength and ability comes.

yes, it is possible as some of the dipping variations with back lever use a false grip in GB.

I've seen FL done in a false grip so they could transition into the MU. The difficult thing is maintaining the false grip but I can't say from experience, just some playing around with FL progressions sometime ago.

It's not difficult to maintain it if you have decent grip (no need for superb :mrgreen: )

And it's possible to do it without false grip and to get the false in the trasition alone.

Joshua Naterman

Gregor, that'll be the day! :P I am starting to feel like I am getting near that level, but it's pretty tough to just slip into a false grip during a slow muscle up!

Gregor, that'll be the day! :P I am starting to feel like I am getting near that level, but it's pretty tough to just slip into a false grip during a slow muscle up!

It's more about feeling and technique how to do it. If you only had someone who is extra skill how to do it, I'm sure you would do it in no time :wink: I see how quickly my students can learn how to if you show them and explain how in live.

I'll try to explain trough air :mrgreen: how ti slip in false grip but I don't think it will be clear enough:

1. if you can imagine wooden ring at half and devide it 3/3.

2. choose 1/3 ov outer side of ring and grab it.

3. at the transition up try to slip in medial condile of ulna at wrist (only ulna's condile) just like you turn your wrists on motor cycle handle.

4. squeeze palm and not just trying to hold on wrist bones, although you can!

I hope I was clear how to slip in although I doubt.

Joshua Naterman

That makes sense! Thanks Gregor! I'll be working on that. I have noticed that trying to touch the bones of the bottom of my thumb and the bottom of my pinkie together helps a lot, is that what you mean by squeeze the palm?